Electrical & Lights Programming Folding Mirrors?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by s60r, Monday 8th Sep, 2014.

1. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Hi all,

In previous cars I have had it is possible to get the folding mirrors to power fold automatically when locking the car.

Is this possible with the FR-V?

Thanks for any knowledge on this.... it would be great if it were possible.

:Smile:

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    To the best of my knowledge there's no way to do this except for getting into fairly untrodden modifying territory. That said, this has succesfully been completed on an 8th Generation Accord with a full guide. I was actually going to look into it further myself as I'm interested in doing something similar on my 7th Generation Accord.

3. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Thanks DD... after looking through your link i widened my search and found that it is a hugely common mod over on the Civic forum....

I just need to see if the FR-V will be compatible....they are identical systems so i'm hopeful! I may just order one and try it anyway as its only £30 for the module. :Smile:

DeviateDefiant and Princepugh like this.
  4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Sounds good, keep us posted on how you get on please :Thumbup:

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm waiting on any email back after enquirying about the parts for the 7th Generation from the same store as the 8th Generation owner :Smile:

Bones126 likes this.
  6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd love my mirrors to auto fold as i keep forgetting to do it manually. I suspect there's either a switch you could retro fit or reroute the power to the mirrors to something which only turns on when the car is turned off and subsequently turns off when the car is switched on like the alarm system?

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

This is a basic outline of the before and after using the SMC module I'm enquiring about:

img01275-20120218-2032-jpg.

8. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    That's a helpful diagram.... Yes this can definitely be done no doubt at all. I'm just wanting to try the Civic module on an FR-V as they are likely very similar or identical in terms of the wiring.

The Civic module is a plug and play item and will power fold the mirrors when the car is locked and unfolds on unlocking. I like this as it's also a visual check that the car is locked. The functionality of the mirrors remains unchanged.

If anyone is a member on the Civic forum can the buy one!? :Wink: I am happy to pay and do a test fit...... I guess I will have to join and get one sent to me. :Smile:

DeviateDefiant and Bones126 like this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not been on the Civic forum, so what is this item that they are selling and why is that you can only get it from there ? I assume its just a circuit with a relay or two wired on it ?

10. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

@SpeedyGee i think it's mr Bozo from Civinfo IIRC that sell them.
    Not sure if he makes them or buy them somewhere.
    I will look it up tonight if I get chance when I get back home and post details.
    I am going on weekend break tonight but will try and find the details.
    - - - Updated - - -
    My phone is playing up and can't copy and paste for some reason but here is screenshot
    Screenshot_2014-09-12-07-49-38.

Bones126 likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Thanks Zoran. I still guessing that inside that box is simply a couple of relays. It's a shame my car doesn't have folding mirrors otherwise I would work out the diagram and just post that up, along with components.

12. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can try it on mine if you want when I come to fit my camera which arrived btw.

13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
  14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I really wouldn't go cheap just from my experience with cheap power controllers for dashcams. You don't want to end up not being able to open your side mirrors! lol

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    My way of thinking too, buy cheap, buy twice!

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Buy cheap and get stuck on your driveway! lol I don't mind buying cheap for cosmetic stuff. Previously didn't mind going cheaper (although not too cheap) for suspension components but not anymore. But with electrics....although almost everything is built in China now anyway so can be difficult to get 3rd Party stuff that is nearer to OEM quality.

17. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Mr bozo makes them himself and the quality is excellent from all the feedback.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I looked into Mr Bozo's folding mirror module, and although there's been numerous enquiries from Accord owners (and I spotted an FR-V too) I haven't found any definitive info on whether they'll work properly on other models. Incidentally I don't think it's worth the punt on that one considering I got a reply from "Simply Cool Shop" - universal instructions, cheaper and tried by a club member on an 8th Generation.

But, that said...
    That price is worth a punt for sure. Speedy my car's all yours if we want to make this a weekend project for the club at some point, otherwise I'll just be buying the SMC module and trying to do a DIY myself.

19. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Interesting point about freezing up in winter though and the motors burning out. I never thought of that.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good point indeed. Should be possible to add a disable button to the auto closing ad ons I would have thought.