Electrical & Lights Project - Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) on Sat Nav Screen

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by SpeedyGee, Thursday 28th Feb, 2013.

1. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've been pondering for a fair while now on getting an Android system displayed up on the Sat Nav screen and ultimately be controllable by the existing Sat Nav and steering wheel buttons.

In theory it's doable. I had a PC displaying up on the screen until last year when the PC had a hard drive failure. I took the PC out to fix and just never got round to it. I achieved that by putting the VGA output from the PC into a scan converter and getting an RGB with separate synch signal (RGBS) out. This is what the Sat Nav uses as its input.

Here you can see the CarPC application (MediateICE) running on the Sat Nav screen. To the right of the screen you can see a Sony stalk that I use to use as the main means of controlling the PC. I could do essentially everything from the stalk, select any button on the screen, go back, press select, next song/vid, previous song/vid etc.

carpc.

This software gave me Music, Video, Weather and Navigation using PC Navigator. I also made a plugin for Windows Mobile, basically back in the days when I had a Windows Mobile phone I was able to display that on the screen too. This was great as it meant I could get Tomtom software running on the phone an displaying on the screen.

Anyways by the time the hard drive failed in the PC I had got board of this setup which was now like 5 years old.
    So this caused a lack of motivation which meant I never actually got round to fixing the dead hard drive.

What did intend to do though is plan on having an Android system running on the screen instead.
    This would be more challenging as I would need to be more inventive in how I implemented controlling the Android device.

Anyways it wasn't until this week when Rob (aka Rhardley) in this http://hondakarma.com/threads/4473/ mentioned that he wanted to display Android track info on the LCD screen that I got off my back side and started looking into my Android project.

So I came back from work the other day and got stuck into.

First aim as proof of concept was to get my Samsung Galaxy S3 displayed on the screen.
    I'd already previously ordered the bits that I needed to do this.
    I had a Galaxy S3 MHL Micro USB 11pin to HDTV HDMI Adapter and a HDMI to VGA converter.

So the theory was that I should able to go from Galaxy S3 into HDMI adaptor into VGA adaptor into the existing scan converter (to give RGBS)

I plugged it all in and hey presto Android on Honda Sat Nav screen
    :Happy:

2013-02-26 18.03.28.

2013-02-26 18.03.28-1.

So now that I know that I can display the screen I can start thinking about control.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    raza4, legend-ary, vanderlei and 2 others like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What bad luck !! Just as I got some momentum going on the Android project, I had a misdemeanor the other day when a young lady decided to slam her car into the side of mine.

So my Accord is now sat at Holdcroft Hondas Body repair shop awaiting repairs.

I guess it could be a fair few weeks before I get her back :Sobbing:

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    gutted for you buddy...it will be soon mended.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Anyone done any Android programming ?

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You're looking at finding a Java developer, I'm comfortable with mucking around with Android ROMs and know a bit about the Linux guts behind it but can't be much more help beyond that. Are you trying to figure out how to use the capacitive controls on the built-in touchscreen to control the phone?

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't have my car at the moment so project is on hold. I'll revisit this if/when I get my Accord back.

Yes I'll have to solve the issue of control.

I've started mucking about with some Android code for another project I'm doing for my son.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I did read mate, hope she can be patched up on the insurance with no problem!

I'm probably not the one to help then, HTML5 WebApps wrapped in Java I can do but not full native work.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

9. x123x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I'm new member here. I've interesting on this project and could you please suggest me with the following question?

Are they any solution to seperate micro usb from samsung galaxy s2 or s3 into two port?

First micro usb is for Video out cable by using "honda video interface" Honda Multimedia Video Interface Accord 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 | eBay
    for this interface are they any conversion cable that could get video out signal inject in to OEM screen?

Second micro usb for "android adapter for car module" that could give audio out with steering wheel control. USB Adapter Car module iPod iPhone Android AUX Bluetooth GROM HON1M #HON1U2 | eBay

Thank you.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I don't think there is anything out there that can allow you to use the micro usb for multiple purposes as you describe.

Is your intention to display the screen, output the audio and have steering controls from the car work the phone ?

11. x123x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, video out and audio out with steering wheel control.
    Now i'm finding the way to use hdmi out and other usb device.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

These were my aims when I started the project. Unfortunately I've not had the car the last three months so couldn't progress the project.

I had the video sorted and audio I would have done via headphone output to Grom aux input.

For control I was planning to look at using a Raspberry Pi to read the GROM USB codes and then send commands via TCP port to a custom app on the android to respond and control the android.

I've not had the car since end of February though, so the project came to a halt.

13. x123x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Another solution, Could we use xCarlink Bluetooth for audio input?
    So, they could control via steering wheel and will solve the problem of connector but i'm not sure about of sound quality compare to line-in type.

Thanks.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The audio is not the problem.

The problem is that your unlikely to be able to get a serial driver for android (I maybe wrong about this) and therefore won't be able to read the commands coming from the car. Which is why I was thinking I needed a Raspberry Pi in between.

Like I said I hadn't got this far before my car got taken away, so I didn't really start looking into how to resolve the steering control issue.

15. x123x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I looking forward to see your progress.:Smile:

16. x123x Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, SpeedyGee, Any progress for you project? I'm very interesting.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah speedy chop chop :Whistle: