Pre-Facelift Model Proof car quality and engineering means nothing today

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Ichiban, Thursday 2nd May, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Poor article but it sums up the attitudes of car buyers today cars have to kudos they have to make the right noises to be bought. Its a lifestyle choice not a car bought on merit. Comparing a Citroën Berlingo to a Honda I give up :Blink:

Engineering and car quality means nothing today,sorry Neil Lyndon Honda don't do vanity for the sake of it so you can compare trump cards at morning coffee club.:Angry:

Honda's CR-V is a car with hidden talends - Telegraph

2. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    my boss made me test drive a polo what you moaning about I will need counseling for that for many years to come. What a pile of crap and an auto to boot.. :Frown: I still feel quite ill but poor sales guy realised. He easy not talking to the converted and in the end realised why! CJ bud you would have been proud of me.. :Smile:

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I've just received the latest edition of Which? online that reviews the CR-V. Unfortunately, I can't give a link as it won't open for non - members, so I have cut and pasted.[h=2]What’s new?[/h]Lower and longer than before, the fourth-generation CR-V looks more car-like than ever. The pumped-up styling has echoes of the Ford Kuga and VW Tiguan from certain angles, but the Honda’s accentuated wheel arches and nipped-in waist add a touch of athleticism that’s missing from these rivals.
    But the most important change is the one you can’t see – this is the first CR-V to be offered as a two-wheel drive (2.0-litre petrol models only).
    This is good news for townies who aren't planning on tackling green lanes at the weekend, especially as the 2WD model is cheaper to buy. However, anyone who values the extra grip and security provided by a 4x4 on snow and ICE should stick with the traditional drivetrain.
    Quieter and more refined than before, the current CR-V has a premium feel inside and out. It’s just as practical as its predecessor, though. The airy cabin is dotted with storage cubbies and cup holders, and the boot offers plenty of storage space - at a measured 500 litres to the window line, it’ll swallow a whole set of suitcases. In fact, if you fold down the back seats, there's enough room for an adult-sized mountain bike, as the boot almost doubles in size to 985 litres.
    Two familiar Honda engines are on offer: the 2.0 VTEC petrol and 2.2 DTEC turbodiesel. Although they are not new, both have been tweaked to improve MPG and emissions, and an engine stop-start system has been added to the petrol.
    It seems like Honda’s engineers have spent a lot of time trying to get everything just right on the CR-V. Attention to detail is impressive and there are some useful touches, such as an electronic tailgate and a one-touch rear seat folding system.
    Safety is a strong point too – as well as stability control and the usual quota of airbags, this is the first CR-V to be offered with emergency braking. This active safety system either prevents or mitigates low speed shunts. Shame it’s only offered on the range-topping EX, and as a cost option.
    Find out how the previous Honda CR-V did in our comprehensive tests
    [h=2]What’s it up against?[/h]This is one of the fastest-growing car classes, with plenty of opposition. Rival SUVs include the Ford Kuga, Range Rover Evoque, Volvo XC60 and Volkswagen Tiguan. Prices start at £21,395, so the cheapest CR-V actually costs less than a comparable Ford Kuga. With prices peaking at over £30,000, it also looks affordable against German rivals from the likes of Audi, BMW and VW.
    The new two-wheel drive variant also gives the CR-V the chance to compete for crossover sales with the Nissan Qashqai, Ford C-Max and Peugeot 3008.
    Read other 4x4/SUV reviews.
    [h=2]Why should I buy one?[/h]More than 190,000 CR-Vs have been sold in the UK since the original version arrived in 1997. Of these, more than 130,000 are still on the road - which demonstrates what a seriously sturdy machine this is.
    If that's not a good enough reason to sign on the dotted line, this latest model is a good-looking car that’s refined and involving to drive, and has a classier image than a Ford or Nissan.
    If you're after a roomy family motor, there's plenty of room for four - and the boot is gargantuan. This is also a rare chance to buy British - the CR-V is built in Swindon.
    [h=2]What's its Achilles’ heel?[/h]Although the CR-V range is more affordable as it has a two-wheel drive version, we'd have very much liked to see the diesel model available with two-wheel drive too. Honda could have gone further to improve fuel economy; the CR-V isn't the cheapest car to live with.
    [h=2]Track record[/h]An almost spotless score card for reliability makes the previous-generation CR-V a dependable companion. We'd be surprised if the new CR-V doesn't perform in a similar way.
    Check out the results of the latest Which? Car Survey
    [h=2]Running costs[/h]The best performer in the CR-V line-up is the 150bhp 2.2 diesel. Honda’s claims for it are 50.4mpg and 149g/km (in S and SE trim). In our testing, the 2.2 DTEC achieved a respectable 44.1mpg.[h=2]Top choice[/h]Without doubt, we’d go for the 2.2 diesel, as it’s better at hauling the 1500kg CR-V along at a decent pace. The range-topping EX was the best-selling version of the previous model, and it's still a great choice. But if you'd rather save your pennies, the SE won't leave you feeling hard done by. Just avoid the base S version, as its meagre kit list doesn't include rear parking sensors.

Toggerefc and Ichiban like this.
  4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I gave up reading once he started going on about how good the Berlingo was.... Sorry, double check what did the article title say again? That's right it's about the CR-V so what's the Berlingo got to do with it? Would be interesting to see what he thinks of the "wonderful" Berlingo when it has fallen to bits in 6 months time and starts emptying the wallet with failures that miraculously suddenly aren't covered under warranty...

Toggerefc likes this.
  5. Baggytrousers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Although I am a newbie to Honda I would respectfully suggest that to compare a Citroen/Peugeot to a Honda is a wholly unrealistic proposal as any fair comparison has to be on a like for like basis. On reliability statistics alone the French makes do not hold a candle to Honda's reputation. I owned a 'quality' LR Discovery prior to my Honda and the gap in quality in the Honda's favour is plain to see. My only regret to date is not buying a Honda before now !

Toggerefc likes this.
  6. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    The way I read the article*, it was actually reflecting positively on the build quality of the Honda and Hondas reputation in this area but was ultimately asking the question of, "who cares?" from the buying publics point of view.

As a previous owner of Volvos, however, I totally get what you are talking about but 'build quality' and 'engineering excellence' is just not s3xy enough and seemingly of insufficient value to market nowadays unless you can somehow tag with a gimmick.

And common perceptions / mis-conceptions are hard to change - when I was looking for an MPV, people kept asking me why I wasn't considering the French offerings, I got bored of explaining that one away to glazed over looks.

D

*: certainly not a review

Last edited: Friday 10th May, 2013