Engine & Gearbox Prop shaft centre bearing

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by Peterlagowski, Wednesday 3rd Aug, 2016.

1. Peterlagowski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Peter Bédar
    Has anyone ever changed the prop shaft centre bearing on a second generation CR-V? Mine has a vibration under load at around 35 to 40kph. I can easily locate the bearing(and have) but there is a cover/boot that should go with it. These appear to be as common as the proverbial hens teeth. The mechanic who will be doing the job says the bearing should come as a kit as the original boot will break when being removed. Any assistance welcomed.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  3. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I was going to say that Honda only supply a complete prop shaft just checked the link and that confirms it.

Peterlagowski likes this.
  4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    How did you determine its that bearing? More likely to be front driveshafts.

5. Peterlagowski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Peter Bédar
    Thanks, I will check this out.
    - - - Updated - - -
    - - - Updated - - -
    I need a pattern part then!
    - - - Updated - - -
    - - - Updated - - -
    Hi Beefy,
    I have replaced them already, great improvement. My mechanic disconnected the prop shaft and the problem went away so the centre bearing is favourite, unless someone knows otherwise. It's not a big issue and gentle driving can get round it, as long as there are no hills involved, but I just want it right.

6. Davej5 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dave Cornwall
    I cannot remember where I read it probably on either crvownersclub.com or hondasuv.com, but I believe people have used some drive shaft boot to replace the rubber as it is not available.

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Disconnecting the prop has not proved it is the centre bearing mind. There are the rear driveshafts. Diff and diff damper/support

8. Peterlagowski Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Peter Bédar
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks Dave, will have a look
    - - - Updated - - -
    - - - Updated - - -
    Nightmare Beefy! Pretty sure the backend is ok as everything seems tight but you never know. I will press on with the centre bearing as, provided I can get the parts it's a cheap fix or rule out.