Guides Pro's & Con's - Facelift 3rd Generation Or New (Prefacelift) 4th Generation?

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by TheDarkKnight, Saturday 8th Dec, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As stated in a couple of prior threads here, I am poring over a possible CR-V buy, however, it won't happen until the spring so time is on my side.

What I want is peoples views/feedack on what they would consider both a sensible and worthwhile move to make.

Both 3rd and 4th Generation CR-V look great. What I have an issue is the price.

I'm after a diesel in EX trim. The 4th Generation would have to be ADAS equipped, no less. Granted, there arent that many demonstrators about yet and that the 3rd Generation doesnt have LKAS, which I suppose I could live without.

I have seen a few 2012 3rd Generation CR-Vs going for about £22-25k. Another £5k would take me into 4th Generation territory - but I am concerned that I would be overpaying for a 3rd Generation and/or not getting enough spec for the money on a 4th Generation.

The 4th Generation puts me off a little by the bottom black plastic trim around the car, which I figure will definitely be colour-coded for the eventual 4th Generation facelift in 3-4 years. It makes the car look tacky somewhat whereas this is not the case on the colour-coded 3rd Generation. So should I stick with the 3rd Generation at a lower price and better spec or run the risk of an inflated budget for a 4th Generation that isnt yet as customisable as its predecessor?

Please share your thoughts/ideas/suggestions/critique.

2. Islander Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm awaiting the delivery of a new SE spec CR-V petrol manual, due for delivery at the dealers on 13th Dec (and therefore with me about Monday 17th). During the wait for it to be built, for the last 5 weeks I've been leant a brand new fully loaded EX petrol auto demonstrator, complete with running boards, spoiler and bumper protectors (and maybe other extras, I'm not fully aware of the EX spec). Very good of the dealer, but I did swap in my BMW right away, to gain maximum trade in, so they have effectively had my cash for that time too. Nevertheless, I'm very happy with their customer service; after all, they could have given me a second hand Jazz off the forecourt! :Smile:

Considering that I managed to get a few £k discount and 3 years servicing as a straight swap for my out-going BMW 5 series, I'm now perfectly happy that I didn't pay the extra cash (about £5k with discount?) for the EX. Like you, I did consider the 2012 model, at higher spec, but a mid spec new CR-V is so much better than the earlier one in terms of included gear and improvements, it didn't make sense to me.

After 5 weeks of driving the loan car, the only thing I now reckon I'd miss from the increased (EX) spec, over the SE is the auto tailgate, which saves getting dirty hands in bad weather! The rest (mainly leather, auto, sat nav, pano roof) would be "nice to have" but I wouldn't pay extra for them. I had all those in the BMW, which did it rather better: I especially don't like the fiddly HDD sat-nav on the CR-V and it's been very useful to confirm my earlier thoughts. The auto is also struggling with the petrol engine IMHO; it seems a very fine flexible engine, so I'm looking forward to the manual to make the most of it. (I didn't go for diesel, as I only do about £5k miles a year on the Isle of Wight.)

I'm really looking forward to my new SE, which will be the most practical vehicle I've ever owned (I already call it my post van!). I'll report and provide photos in due course.

3. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Looking forward to your pics :Smile:

I suppose for you it made sense to go with a new model since the petrol will naturally have far better refinement from 3rd to 4th Generation, but that leap is less so on the 2.2 I-DTEC, hence why I am in a quandary!

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thoughts guys and gals???

5. Bowler Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Go for the new spec if finances allow, if not every time you see the new one on the road you may regret your decision.

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bowler looking at this corrupt post ^^ just leave it as it is

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is what Bowler has said

Go for the new spec if finances allow, if not every time you see the new one on the road you may regret your decision.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will impact on it soon buddy.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeh was gonna say that I couldn't read that corrupted post! LOL

But yes, even I am now leaning towards a new one, but not before I see what its like equipped with the 1.6 I-DTEC engine. That may be a few months off so I know I won't be making any rash or irrational purchases. I may end up keeping the Accord as well. Love it too much to chop in.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Saj,

Its simple

The 3rd Generation facelift had the I-DTEC engine (made in Japan) but fitted in Swindon the 4th Generation I-DTEC engine made and assembled in blighty (God give me strength)

3rd Generation Facelift has had nearly all its quirks resolved and few Swindon self inflicted goals resolved by trial and error and oh S moments .. so you will get a car which is serviced packed and realisable-ish until the ghost of European vendors strikes.

History dictates Honda cars irrespective which factory its produced the pre facelift car are kaizen projects. The facelift is the car to buy and better is it the last of production runs, and I follow that cycle too.

So you may not be the setting the world on fire with an older CR-V when you see a newer one, but you know your older one will be reliable.

Honda owners buy Honda's for reliability and not vanity and hope the penny drop with HUM and the Swindon beauties. Lastly CR-V hold their values like crazy so either car will hold their value , so your money is safe.
    You should have access to our wiki check out the info on the 4th Generation CR-V.:Wink:

11. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest CJ, what you said is what resonates with me most, although I do see the appeal of buying the "newest" shape, purely for the fact that its not "old".

Still, I have a test drive booked this weeked for the new CR-V so will report back when done.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The new CR-V is packed with technology and the 3rd Generation facelift looks backwards when compared as the 4th Generation has superior technology.

But when you are not bothered in keeping up appearances does it matter, the test drive will sort out your dilemma.

13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I've had my iv gen CR-V for just two weeks today. It's the EX and it is chock full of technology. Unfortunately, it's a lot to get a grip of. Having said that, it is almost future proof insofar as anything is future proof. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I think you will regret getting an older version, so go for the latest.

14. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

While I won't prejudice the outgoing 3rd Generation just yet, I am starting to lean towards your thinking Robbie :Smile:

Hopefully the drive tomorrow will give me some pointers as well. Like you, if I select it, it will have to be an EX model, nothing less.

15. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very impressed by the new CR-V in diesel guise.

Still get the impression that the US-built CR-V was better put together so I may just sit back a while a wait for production improvements and have another test drive in the summer. Not in any rush to buy, certainly not at the inflated price premium being asked, but walked away with a smile.

The new CR-V is very very good.

16. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I'm not sure how mine could have been put together any better. Everything fits perfectly, just like my Accord was. No gaps anywhere in the bodywork, and the interior is magnificent. I haven't driven far in it yet as I have only done about 80 miles, but it is quiet and refined, and the engine bursts into power at the touch of the start button. It is amazingly quiet when on the road, so it is well insulated, and the engine is just a whisper. My only criticism is that it isn't as sure footed as the Accord.

17. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had driven the 2.4 petrol earlier this year in the USA and thats why I made that comparison. It wasnt meant as a knock to the Swindon built car - far from it. But the US version felt a lot more "tighter" whereas this one, as you say didnt feel as sure footed.

Suppose its semantics and the obvious change in engine betwee petrol/diesel but I do agree, it is very quiet and refined. Swindon or not, that I-DTEC engine is damn sweet. I won't lie, I did NOT want to get out of the car!

And the all round vision and greater spatial awareness was damn second to none. :GoodJob: