Detailing Protecting Rims

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by DeviateDefiant, Saturday 12th Jul, 2014.

1. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've already noticed on my freshly refurbished rims just how much dust, splatter and general road grime is sticking to them - I've done about 250 miles so far. The wheels have effectively been treated like bodywork during the refurb process, is the route to go then simply polish, wax and seal?

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I presume you meant polish, seal and wax ?
    That's what I've done with mine.
    However, the brake dust still starts to stick after a few months.
    Anyone got a better solution ?

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Nope, I polish, wax and then seal. The polish hides any scratches on the paintwork, the wax adds definition to the polish and protects that layer - then seal over the top is what protects the whole lot from the elements and beads. The seal of course being the least important as wax hardens itself and obviously beads, but it gets me fantastic duration on the shine and bead - on bodywork that is of course. I tend to deep clean every month or two, and other wise just wipe down with a quick detailer every week (or even glass polish) in 10 minutes.

I basically want the hardest layers I can on the wheels to protect the paint from small stones and what not.

4. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I use a good cleaner like iron-x to get them all spangly. Then AG Super Resin followed by a couple of coats of AG Liquid Hard Wax. Then I just use a quick Detailer to bring them back up after a wash

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I refurbed my wifes wheels I had them lying in the lounge for a week and gave them several coats of Colinite wax. I did find them really easy to clean after with that bilberry stuff.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Some great tips guys :Niceone:
    Back to the drawing board for me :Wassat:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm going to have to look into Iron-X some more, I don't have a dedicated wheel cleaner at the moment aside from the Honda Pro version. Seems like the consensus so far is to go nuts with the wax :Laughing:

8. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^That certainly seems to work for mine. Make sure they get cleaned regularly, and protect to try and stop the brake dust from sticking and causing more work to remove.

I use Bilt-Hamber Auto Wheel cleaner for the wash which seems to get the muck off very well. Haven't used Iron-X though have read lots of good things.

For the wax stage I use Swissvax Autobahn which seems pretty good, if expensive. I won't be buying another pot when this one is gone as I believe just as good results are available from much cheaper alternatives having read some of the forums (and a recommendation from Zoran on another thread). Mind you, my current pot is YEARS old...:Smile:, so actually it is probably pretty good value once you get past the shock of the initial outlay!

Swissvax UK

auto-wheel - Cleaning & Degreasing

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Aye, it's the brake dust which is going to be the issue. I really need to invest in a pressure washer, though we don't have an outside tap here so I'd need to feed it from a tank.

I honestly couldn't be happier with Dodo Juice wax, I'm be sticking with that for now. My favourites are Purple Haze Pro and Supernatural (my current). Another wax I keep hearing good things about lately though is Artdeshine Artdekotsos Obsidian (have to Google the spelling every time :Laughing:).

Ed, give Dodo Juice a try - they do small panel pots which are easily enough to cover a car, phenomenal products.

10. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^Yes, I think I will "go Dodo" next time...but I'm on a mission to actually use up some of the products I've collected over the years first!! :lol:

I've used a couple of their products and been impressed. Dodo Red Mist protection detailer is just superb!

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Hah, I'm getting that way too mate. I buy more product than I use by a long shot. I'll end up dedicating a closet to it soon, already well over the capacity of my detailing bag!

I've got their Basics of Blings detailer, and it's pretty good - though not as good as the Sonax detailer I brought recently. Their products in general are outstanding mind.

12. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    If anyone is after a seriously strong wheel cleaner for when you're trying to bring wheels back to life after being poorly looked after I can perhaps set up a group buy or something from the local company that supplies me all my products.

For wheel cleaning now, with the wax on I literally hit them with snow foam and it all drops off.

Nels likes this.
  13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For general cleaning I find that Auto Glym alloy wheel cleaner is very good brings them up a treat.

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've been doing my research into Wheel Cleaner, at the moment I'm using G3 which does the job but it was a bit of a stopgap on a run to Halfords. Iron-X gets great reviews though I'm also hearing fanatical raving about Autosmart Smart Wheels. I'm not sure yet what to do in the long run, for now I'll use up the G3 as it's doing well at shifting the brake residue.

15. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Polish, seal then wax is your order. If you use a sealant on top of wax it will not bond to it properly but the wax will bond to a sealant

Nels likes this.
  16. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Ironx is the only product i use on paintwork (part of prep stage before polishing) and wheels if a deep decontamination is required when doing other peoples cars, Once the wheels are thoroughly cleaned and sealed up then all thats required is your normal wash shampoo or a light wheel cleaner if you like, something like Bilberry diluted down.

Nels likes this.