Body, Paint & Styling Protective film on bonnet is torn

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Nadeem79, Thursday 10th Jul, 2014.

1. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    Hello to one and all,

Since we moved to our new house, we have noticed that there are loads of sea gulls (I am inland and not coastal ...far from coastal ... but still get bloody seagulls) near our house. They seem to hover around the industrial estate behind our house.

Anyway, with our house being in their flight path, they normally like to leave a pleasant surprise on the cars below. Bombs away, every bloody day. But they seem to favour my FR-V more than most. Blue is the rage with them birds. The bonnet, sides, roof everything gets covered.

One day the whole car was covered in droppings. I took it to my nearest Hand Car Wash crew as it was that bad. They used their pressure washers to clean the car and in doing so, I noticed that they have torn the plastic film that covers the bonnet. Now the underlying paint is exposed. In the areas where the plastic is torn, the paint looks dull and the rest of the bonnet shiny.

Has anyone else come across this problem? Does anyone know if I can the film/protective layer and get it re-fitted. I am just worried, that now that the underlying paint is exposed, over time, with it coming to contact with the elements, it might deteriorate, rust etc.

I have attached pictures of the damage. Would be great to get some feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    So have you had a plastic sheeting installed on your car? as from the factory they don't come as standard. If you don't have the plastic sheeting isntalled then its the clear coat which is damaged and a full respary will fix that.

3. Nadeem79 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nadeem
    To be honest Ichiban, I had nothing installed on it. Bought the car last year in Feb. In regards to the clear coat re-spray, yeah will have to ask about that.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can you try to peel off the layer .. if you can do it in large chunks then it has some sort of plastic wrapping on the bonnet. However if it peels into a small pieces easily that clear coat then.

Bird pool are extremely acidic that why layer on the layers of wax it will help.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That looks like the clear lacquer is damaged and peeling off.

Would probably need a full bonnet respray to fix it.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I actually have a very similar issue on my bumper. Do you just have to sand it down, cover all the lights etc and get a new spray of clear coat?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That should do the trick for the bumper but be careful not to rub too hard else you'll go through the paint layer too.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Shouldn't be too hard - I've taken loads off while washing anyway!

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sorry to hear about this. Yes it looks like the lacquer is damaged. Seagull s*** is the most damaging to paint work.

I keep a box of Autoglym Bird Dropping Wipes in my glove box as they're very handy to get droppings off and then just dispose of the wipe.

Layers of wax and sealant are a good protective measure as well.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I like a man who is prepared for the inevitable !
    Maybe we should have this guy help with the seagulls ? :hunter:

John Dickson and Ichiban like this.
  11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm sure the local feathered population saves it all up until I have washed the car.

They sit there laughing I'm sure of it. :toarms:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  13. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I wish my bonnet had a clear protective film on it, she wouldn't be riddled with stone chips then :Laughing: