Suspension, Steering and Brakes PSF - worth changing?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by AccordMavman, Sunday 28th Jun, 2015.

1. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Cheshire
    Hi folks

Just wanted to get your thoughts on how worthwhile you think a change of power steering fluid would be for my 7th Generation I-CDTI. There's no mention of this in the service schedule so I was wondering how important it is. Does it degrade over time like brake or clutch fluid?

If overall opinion is a yes, would appreciate some advice about how complex a job it is, what the capacity of the system is and approx labour time if not a driveway job.

Thanks all

:Smile::Smile:

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    It's not essential as it does not degrade at the same rate as other fluids EG brake fluid. It is never a bad thing to do mind and worthwhile doing as part of proactive maintenance. Quite easy to do but messy and if your not a very hands on chap should not be costly labour wise at a good garage. Use only Honda PSF and buy enough for two flushes.

3. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Beefy. The main reason for asking, apart from my own curiosity, is that the rack on my car is noticeably noisier than it was on my 6th Generation. It's not got any louder over the past 11k & 9 months, and there's no trace of any leaks but thought a change wouldn't do any harm.

Point noted about using only Honda PSF. Any ideas (roughly) how much it would be?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    To flush the PSF on my 7th Generation on advice from @Ichiban I literally just emptied the reservoir and refilled with fresh Honda PSF every few days of driving and let it mix with what was left in the system, I just did it until the fluid overall looked fresh. Saved me flushing out the entire system and getting air in.

Very slightly smoother steering, nothing major - mine was at 88k or so roughly.

You can buy it from @Holdcroft Honda, just give them a call and mention you're a club member for discount - it will also be listed on the HK parts store soon to launch.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup pretty much that is the best way of changing the PS fluid.I have done by 7th Generation last weekend and every year change a liter and half of fresh PS fluid.

Top tip when bleeding the system do lock to lock gently to get the air out of the system. I and not a fan of flushing the entire system with the engine running it's will damage the pump.

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brilliant tips - never thought of doing it that way but can see it would save a whole load of hassle, especially with trying to get airlocks out doing it the long way round...

Thanks for that - much appreciated...

7. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very good point - thanks for that.

Well, she's due an oil change next month (I'm taking your advice to keep my new timing chain nice & quiet by changing it every 6k!) so I'll pick up some PSF fluid at the same time and see how we go on.

Thanks for the tips, always appreciated ...

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  9. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So, a delayed update....

Have now changed the PSF, the rack is noticeably quieter so a good result for a small outlay. The fluid is still not totally clear yet, but I've still got some left so will follow the advice of emptying & refilling the reservoir over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the tips all, all the fluids are now fresh so just have to maintain this, as we all like to do...

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good to hear that you have done all you fluids.

Why don't you add that detail into your Project Log for your car under "Service History and Related Threads", this way you have like a record of what and when you did things.

Have a look at my Accord or FR-V as examples.

AccordMavman and DeviateDefiant like this.
  11. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great shout, I'll do that - thanks. Although I have a lot of bills from the previous owner, and of course mine since I've had her, I've not yet set up a log like I had for my 6th Generation so this will be really useful.

Can't believe I've had her for nearly a year already....:Grin::Grin:

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. AccordMavman Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All updated - with dates & mileage, thanks for the tip...:Smile:

Nels likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Nice one :Thumbup: