Off-Topic Pulled by police for not having headlights on

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Tuesday 7th Aug, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Got stopped by police today in Poland for not having my headlights on in the middle of the day.
    Apparently is compulsory in Poland 24 hours non stop to have them on.
    I got away with telling off only with me being a foreigner and using an excuse that I didn't know about it(I knew about,I just refuse to have them on in the middle of the day)
    Can anybody tell me a valid point why should I have them on all day.pointless if you ask me.
    Rant over.:Angry:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It because thy have so many potholes in the roads they need all motorist to turn them on.lol

mind you they way we are going we will need them soon!!

3. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Well as much as I was opposed to the idea when it was introduced, I can see the point. They do really help in other motorists spotting you, and in a country with one of the highest rates of accidents and resulting fatalities in Europe, they want to do anything they can to minimise those risks. Too many times I see idiots here in UK driving in a rain, or on a cloudy grey morning, without their lights on. Thinking that if they can see the other drivers with their lights on, they don't have to do the same.

Try driving to France and telling them you didn't know they now have a compulsory breath analysers. You got very lucky :Tongue:

Ignorantia juris non excusat :Smile:

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can understand in rain or any other weather condition but middle of the day with sun out is beyond me.
    I am not being awkward I just don't see point of it.
    As for French,I am prepared and got two breathalyzer in my car.

Malibu likes this.
  5. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Well I know what you mean on a sunny day. But ... it's still their law. <Certain Prodigy song springs to mind> :Grin:

It's like story about that Polish bloke who was caught stealing metal for scrap, and said he didn't know it was illegal so they let him off!!! That is annoying isn't it? It shouldn't have happened. When a person travels to another country they should know the laws in force and obey them. Especially us drivers. It is not for us to question the law in other country, it could only mean trouble.

6. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fair words,point taken :Blushing:

7. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

Hey we all do stupid things. I admit to undertaking a few cars today on way from London. With maximum caution and safely, but still. But how do you deal with 4 lane hoggers in 3rd lane with lane 1 and 2 completely empty !!!

8. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Only in this country could they get away with that!

9. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes this is true, but how many people can say they do know all the laws , and surely common sense has to come into it?

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Ignorance clearly is an excuse these days.

11. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ignorant maybe I am but that's because I think I am right.
    Then again like Bijomaru said who am I to question their law.

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

I did not mean to brand anyone as ignorant. But the rule is, if people were able to get away from punishment for crime by telling they did not know it was illegal, everyone would be breaking the law. Each one of us have some laws they will not agree with. But do we chose to willingly break them? If we do then I guess we are taking into account the possible punishment if caught.

And yes, driving to another country you should know their traffic rules. In fact the by law you are required to know all rules etc. If you get caught doing something illegal, and claim you did not know, you would go to court. If you can prove you actually did not know the law then you might get away with it. But if they heard Zoran is quite often driving to Poland, they would not have this excuse.

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Sorry Zoran I wasn't referring to you as ignorant, my comment was in response to the other examples which had been made on the thread.

I completely agree with you though, driving with your lights on during the day is completely pointless. Maybe the drivers over there should concentrate a bit harder and notice oncoming cars instead of trying to rely on inappropriate driving aids.