Suspension, Steering and Brakes Pulsing vibrations

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by synaesthesia, Monday 29th Jul, 2013.

1. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Gonna try and explain this one!

Only noticed it for the first time after doing a long run (150 mile) yesterday.

Steering wheel is vibrating in pulses. So, one moment it's fine (3 seconds), then it vibrates fairly heavily for 3 seconds, then the vibrations die away and it's smooth for 3 seconds, then vibrates, then smooth. No difference whether I'm turning slightly in either direction or going straight.

It's not the road surfaces or pressures, and I don't (to the best of my knowledge) have Parkinsons, and this seems like a very odd symptom to me! If there was an issue with a tyre or wheel, I'd imagine the vibration to be constant, if it was a bearing maybe the same and more noticable when going in a certain direction.

Any clues or thoughts? :Smile:

(It bloody hurt after doing that distance as I have a bad wrist + the drive was M25/M11/A14 so didn't touch the clutch or brakes for the best part of 2 hours!)

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Power steering/power steering pump issue ??

3. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Didn't think of that - is there anything I can do to try and narrow that down?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Check you've got correct amount of power steering fluid in reservoir.

Jack the front of the car up, turn the steering lock to lock a few times, listen for noises and see if the steering feels OK.

5. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    All seemed OK first thing this morning. Decided to bite the bullet and change one of my tyres which I thought might be an issue - problem solved (nearside front). Smooth as anything now, although still seems odd that a dodgy tyre would cause a pulsing vibration like that!

Cheers for the input as usual :Grin:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup tyres which is under inflated will flex and get deformed with time and budget tyres are known to do it as default.

fresh tyres always transform a car,glad you are sorted.