Guides Quality Of CR-V - Testament To Skilled Honda Workforce At Swindon

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Robbie, Thursday 14th Mar, 2013.

1. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I have just had my online Auto Express and their long term report on the CR-V. I’ve hardly any complaints about the build quality of the cabin, either. Even compared to my old Audi, the Honda’s fit and finish is excellent, and all the switchgear operates with slick precision. In fact, the whole car feels robustly screwed together, which is a testament to the skilled workforce at Honda’s Swindon factory in Wiltshire.
    Overall, the new CR-V is a decent family car that’s very easy to drive and impressively spacious. It’s not in the least bit exciting, but as I’m rapidly closing on middle age, maybe that makes it the ideal car for me right now...

Read more: Honda CR-V: Second report | Auto Express

- - - Updated - - -

I have tried to post my cut and paste below my comment, but have been unable to do so. How can this be done as it seems that I am making the long term report rather than a quote from Auto Express?

Last edited: Thursday 14th Mar, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good Stuff Honda Swindon is the saviour for the Honda masses.

3. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good article, I agree with most of what he says. Really glad I didn't go for the auto even though I'm thinking, due to advancing years, that an automatic would be welcome - I think the one they fit to the CR-V is too compromised.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As usual, AutoToiletExpress like to focus on negative things.

Agree though that the new CR-V is put together as well as if not better than my Accord. However, that AutoToiletExpress "article" was a waste of 3 minutes of my life that I can never get back.

5. Slimbaldy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Leeds
    I also fully agree being an ex Audi fan and yes middle age, children and working in a quarry make the CR-V the obvious choice. But being a mechanical fitter my spanners are not used on any of my Hondas.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Can someone help me here?

How can I say the honest and blunt truth by not upsetting our CR-V owners ?

7. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having just acquired a 4th Generation CR-V, I'm not yet a CR-V groupie. I've got a pretty thick skin, so you won't upset me by being objective in your views.

Personally I think that my new car could have been finished off little better in two areas, firstly the rear boot has an aperture for opening the door when not using the electrics, it has sharp unfinished edges and secondly the roof lining around the sunroof needs to be finished off properly in some areas.

There I said it - my brand new 30 grand 'onda could be better.

Cheers,

Chris

8. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Well, I haven't found any fault with mine so far. Will have had it four months on 30th March and it's perfect.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is my opinion after through examination of the new Civic, the new CR-V. I have now come to the conclusion Honda have diverted their attention like the European car manufacturers to visible and tangible quality. Letting the customer see and touch what they want to see.

I have examined everything not in direct customer contact i.e the undercarriages, plastic part quality, metal component quality, paint finish and manufacturing process all have taken a big step backward step to save cost. Honda had a budget to develop these two cars and the majority of the chunk is gone into the cabins and getting the suspension right and the remainder has taken a hammering.

Honda it would seem don't want the cars to last 7-10 years all Swindon made cars will suffer degraded performance and poor component life.These cars will not stand the test of time and I can vouch for that from what I have seen.

I was highly critical when Honda started to skimp on paint,the engine bays the inner front apron legs were painted prior to the introduction of the 3rd Generation Jazz. Now door shuts door jams are in matt finish and in a over spray finish.the engine bay has untidy over spray form body panel!Honda made huge saving and a massive reduction of paint per vehicle in all it plants worldwide in the name of lower Co2. it looks ugly and unprofessional and is not the Japanese build we were are custom to .. Even my 8th Generation engine bay is the same.:Aghast:

Anyone who has remove the front and back bumpers of the new cars will see no paint but the electrostatic primer, even the prevouis Civic and CR-V were the same.

All of the above is a like for like adoption of the European manufacturing ethos.. and this will be the downfall in my personal opinion.

Honda cars are are still leading the reliability index however these two cars will not be fearing well in 4 years time and I can't see Honda being on the top. Owners buying New Civic and CR-V keep your eyes open for sudden component failure your interior trim will be fine, and you wonder why the German cars sell like hot cakes because people love the insides they are not bothered about the oily stuff.

10. linelink Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not going to make any new Honda friends with a tirade like that, OTOH you're probably correct in your assumptions. Honda, just like other manufacturers, want to move "boxes" and make the maximum profits. Co2 is a multi billion pound business and and is a good excuse to build cars with lesser quality components, while justifying its use for a greener planet.

Cheers,

Chris

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thats why I made my assertion clear from the outset it hard without upsetting people..if you put spin on it then you are hiding from the truth. It black and white in my case.

12. CRV_Virgin Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have to totally agree but it's not exclusive to Honda. Gen 2 and later cars are used by all manufacturers to find out the expensive bits and build them cheaper. My wife's RAV4, being replaced by a '06 CR-V is fundamentally a great car. Toyo built it too well in many places; when washed the paint finish is still fantastic for a 12 year old with 152k miles on it. The current RAV4 is just a pile of pants and no way will last like the old one. Thing is, no one really cares. Manufacturers build what consumers want.

13. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Throw away society isn't it? Being inherited from the USA. Manufacturers only want cars to last the warranty period, beyond that who gives a damn.
    The just want us all to be 3 year PCP slaves to lower our exposure to expensive repairs.