Detailing Quality wax.

Discussion in 'Detailing & Cleaning' started by steve4536, Monday 27th May, 2013.

1. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have to say, waxing a car is not my favorite hobby. I did though feel the need to give my new asset a coat of wax just recently (to preserve my investment of course) :Smile:

I ended up buying 'turtle wax ICE'; very expensive but a superb wax to work with. It really showed when the car got wet and how much the wax was repelling the water.
    It had a great write up in some of the motor mags and it's longevity between applications was what swayed me in the end.
    No hidden white residue, can wax in sunshine, easy on, easy off. It was almost zen like when applying it.

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've tried that ICE Wax on one of my older cars. Easy to use, but I don't think it lasts very long.

For me, Autoglym HD wax rules. Beads forever, takes a bit of elbow grease to put on/polish off, but SO worth it.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Colinite 475 or something like that. Easy on easy off.

4. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Colinite 475 is the polish I favour. Used it on my last car and the results are extremely good. It takes a bit of shaking the bottle to get it mixed thoroughly, but then it's so easy to apply and take off. Beading is fantastic and it lasts for quite a while. Not too expensive either.

5. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Oops, my mistake its Colinite 845 Insulator Wax NOT Colinite 475. Sorry if I've given anyone the wrong info.

7. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll try Colinite 845 next as I've heard good things. I think you need to put the bottle in hot water to soften it as it's thick but does last ages on the car.

8. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dependent on the wax, they tend to start lose their protection after a few weeks. I was really surprised when I found that out.

Sealants are the way to go if you are looking to protect the paint for a long time.They last a lot longer (12 months), and are easy to apply.

i would suggest Klasse Sealant Glaze or Wolf Gang Deep Gloss.

Last edited: Tuesday 4th Jun, 2013
  9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Collinite 915 is generally my favourite but I do find it hard to get a hologram-free finish on the soft Honda paint. I prefer Poorboys EX-P on the Honda so a glaze is needed underneath if you want a really wet look.

10. teejay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tony Northampton
    Where can you get Colinite from? All the usual suspects?

11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Yes, I think most online suppliers stock the range.

12. Zoot Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Ron Leeds
    Clean Your Car have a good stock of all car cleaning and detailing materials. I've had good service from them.

13. sword906 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Also they do a small discount for detailing world members as well.

Looking the reviews for the product, I don't think you can go wrong. The write ups are spot on

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Halfords have those Huge yellow fluffy Micro fibre towels on offer at the minute. Made by Kent, they are 3 for £8 (3 for 2)

15. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    Collinite 845, 476 and especially 915 are all very good waxes for the money, nice looks and great durabilty, usually 3-4 months from one layer. Sealants are far easier to apply, usually a quick spray on, wipe off product and again around 3 months durabilty. Nice coloured cars such as reds, blacks etc i would recommend using waxes for deep of colour and warm/wet look. For silvers, whites, greys etc then sealants all day long due to the shaper, reflective looks they offer that you need on the lighter colours to enhance the looks and shine

16. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    Last October I carried out a full wash,dry car,tar remover,wash car, clay bar,dry car,cleanser fluid clean down,dry this off,micro fine conditioner,buff it off,cleanser fluid clean down,dry this off, hydro wax and buff this off. All products are from Bilt Hamber. Have used Auto Glym for the last few years. Washed the car today and the panels are beading well ( not bad since we have had 1229mm of rain fall since the start of October). Given the state of the roads,the floods and the pot holes I think it has perform well.

17. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I've also become a huge fan of the Bilt Hamber range, especially the Hydra Wax which gives a lovely deep finish on silver. Very quick & easy on/off too, although the surface I am applying to is properly maintained...:Crazy:

After years with AutoGlym, and then Meguiars, they are now my detailing supplier of choice for the Accord.

18. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I was told last night by a detailer friend to make a 50/50 mix of Autoglym Super Resin and Autoglym Liquid Hardwax

I was skeptical to say the least. I needn't have been. The results were incredible.

He is going to throw some Black Hole at it over the weekend then finish off with some posh Valentines wax (I may not have got the names right) so we will see if it makes it look better again.

19. wanner69 Detailing & Styling Trader

Wirral
    AG Super resin is an all in one polish so mixing it with a wax is not the way forward. Polish then seal with your wax. Also throwing black hole on top of the Ag wax or any other wax will not bond to the surface, BH should be applied after polishing but before waxing. But hey ho if your happy then thats all that matters

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Just a side note but if looking for microfibre towels check out Costco, you get a pack of over 30 large sumptuous towels for £10! :Smile: