General Question for ACCORD owners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pastore, Tuesday 1st Sep, 2015.

1. pastore Banned ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom pastore London
    Bearing in mind i know jack about cars, when i was thinking of buying a my first HONDA car i went straight to the Civic and didnt even think about the accord. its more cheaper, the 5 doors have loads of head room for tall people and leg room, and loads of rear leg room and boot space. cheaper to run fuel wise cuz of the smaller engine, and easier to park.

so no offence but why on earth didnt you get the Civic instead? again no offence im a noob so unless im missing something really obvious i just don't get why you would buy a accord over a Civic. am i making any sense or am i just being a noob? lol

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I own both but "my" car is the Accord, it's a lot more comfortable than the Civic, the Accor has much more gizmos, is much more powerful and eats up motorway miles in it's sleep.

MickyB likes this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@pastore, have you driven an Accord, or even been a passenger in one?
    I fully accept that it may not be right for everyone, but Accords are really fabulous cars. As @SpeedyGee has said, they eat up motorways and do so in comfort.

I want a saloon with reliability, comfort, refinement, and performance that can carry up to 5 passengers. If I needed more space, then I'd have bought the tourer.
    They are Japanese built and I really wouldn't want to part with mine. I am on my 4th one now, and generally keep them for about 10 years. (See the list below)

There is however one major problem with the Accord - Most people just don't know about how fabulous they really are. Their loss, my gain. :Tea:

chickyb, John Dickson, MickyB and 3 others like this.
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That is one fabulous point @Nels, they are sooooooo understated.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

There isn't a Civic in the range that offers over 200bhp with LSD and Recaro interior with a big boot for a push chair.

Plus every street corner has a Civic sat on it, whereas there are less than 900 of my car on this great country's roads.

Harvey and GSD2013 like this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Accords seem better built and more 'solid'. Civics just don't have the same image and class. The fantastic load capacity of my tourer Accord is why I bought it.

John Dickson and GSD2013 like this.
  7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

A lot of it is also down to personal preference.

I could probably get by with a Jazz - I don't really NEED a big car - but I prefer larger cars for everyday use, so having considered down-sizing from my Accord, I ended up with a CR-V.

If you are doing regular longer runs, generally the bigger the car the quieter and more comfortable is it. That's why I originally chose my Accord over something smaller.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

"Accord because it's made in Japan"

I load up my Accord full and with 3 kids in the back and set off on a trip to Europe thousands of miles and it just love it.
    I enjoy it actually whether with Civic i doubt i would enjoy it as much with it being a smaller car and not as fast as my Accord.

9. GSD2013 Premium Member Club Supporter

@pastore
    Whoops, you kicked the wasp nest there didn't you lol.:Grin:
    I test drove a spaceship style Civic (2006), but realised after about 5 minutes that the test driven Accord (previous day) was in a different league entirely, magic carpet ride quality and silence in the cabin.

Each to their own, and my way is the Accord way

10. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    So many reasons on my part, the Accord's are possibly one of the most under-rated cars on the road. One of my friend always says I should buy a Civic and that the Accord is an old mans car, but they don't know how good the Accord's are, especially from technical point of view.

Here's a list of reasons why I chose the Accord, (I actually very nearly bought a Primera GT, which is just as big):

1) Saloon shape - I love saloons, they are my favorite shape, and the Accord is the perfect size, not huge fan of anything bigger as they become too big, and anything smaller can look disproportionate. I do like hatchbacks but I like having a saloon tailgate at the back, it also helps car feel more planted and stable at high speeds due to aerodynamics.

2) Suspension setup - The Accord's come with proper sophisticated all round double wishbone setup, the stuff of dreams from technical point of view, its what gives the car a fantastic ride and great handling at the same time, you have best of both worlds. The Civic's in comparison, 7th Generation onwards are just mcpherson struts i believe or possible DW at front, and the rear is some stiff torsion bar like setting, the ride is very fidgety and no way near as comfortable as the Accord, they do handle well though.

3) Steering - This is probably more generation focused as the 8th Generation Accord has electric steering, but the one on my 6th Generation is just lovely, nicely weighted and lots of feedback. The electric steering on the 7th Generation Civic is horrible.

4) Quality - The build quality and the quality of materials between the Civic and Accord is hell of a lot different, the Accord is so much more plusher, as you would expect from a car sitting a class above. Accords feel more luxurious compared to a Civic.

5) Toys - Lot's of toys in the Accord, but to be fair the top spec Civic, the Type-S comes with lots of toys and luxury bits.

6) Jekyll and Hyde character - I think the Accords are the perfect Jekyll and Hide cars, when not in VTEC they are supremely comfy, quiet cruising machines, put your foot down and they become a screaming sporty car that you can have a blast in.

7) Comfort - I think it's already been covered, the Accord is vastly more comfy then Civic.

8) Better image - not really one to care about image, but the Accord come across as more sophisticated and there are less of them on the roads so they feel a bit more unique in that sense.

9) Touring cars - I grew up watching BTCC as a kid and the 6th Generation Accord and P11 Primera were my heroes, so I had to have one.

There's probably more reasons why, but my brains run out of juice, in general the Accord is a class above Civic so its better in pretty much every way, plus they are not actually that much more expensive than Civic's.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Also my Accord's not made in Japan, but was made in Swindon, but I would say the build quality is just as good as one made in Japan.

legend-ary likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The early ones were still under the detailed scrutiny of the Japanese QC guys. I still believe there are some well built cars from Swindon, it's just consistency they need to focus on.

John Dickson and exec like this.
  12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Suspension, seats, 2.4 awesome petrol engine....

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The 9th Generation Civic's are very well built, seems like they rectified a lot of the issues that the 8th Generation had, which is possibly the worst built Honda ever? even then its better than most other cars on the road.

14. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I put a deposit down on a new Civic years ago, drove home and realised how good my then current Accord was, so cancelled my purchase.

MickyB, SpeedyGee and exec like this.
  15. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agreed.

There is a massive difference in build quality with the 8th and 9th Generation Civic. Even the improved plastics of the 8th Generation facelift didn't do much to counteract the poor finish.

I've always said the 6th Generation Accord and 7th Generation facelift Civic were amongst some of the best cars that Honda have ever made, and they were built in Swindon.

MickyB likes this.
  16. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My previous accord was a 1988 2.0Ex I owned it for 3 years, travelled 33000 miles around Europe in it never had a problem at all with it and the only things I ever had to top up was the Petrol and the washer bottle.
    So with this in mind and the fact that my wife had previously had a Civic as a courtesy car while some work was done on the HR-V and we didn't like it then, then the choice was simple especially when we saw the colour and the test drive was epic the 2.4 engine took me to 100mph before I even got off the motorway slip road( yes I did not realise I was travelling that fast).

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

My CC7 was great too and built in Swindon. That's why I know they can do it.

18. demian New Member Getting Started

Civics are for the working class.

19. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So are all Honda cars.

dbrooks65 likes this.
  20. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    But I'm chav class!