General questions about the D15Z7... :P

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by Martin959, Friday 26th Feb, 2016.

1. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    Hiya! Im new on the forum! :Grin:

About a month ago I bought a Civic 1999 EK3 with a D15Z7 engine, and I wanted to upgrade it as much as I can, but on Ebay I only find parts for the D15B, i was wondering if its the same engine or not... I know that the B one is for the JDM market, but don't know if i can buy the pieces for it that will fit on my car... :Smile:

If someone could take my confussion away, that would be quite a relief :Grin:

Also I was planing to change both manifolds, intake and exhaust ones... the exhaust itself as well and add a new air filter as well... there is anything else that i can do to get some extra HP? :Grin:

Cheers!
    Martin

2. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
  3. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lots of engines all with slight differences,
    Lots of info on line, Wikipedia has a list of the engines and the specs par example.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  5. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    yeah, the thing is that i can't find nothing and on ebay i find all for the D15B, not for the D15Z7 :Messed:

6. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

The engine ranges and specs are on Wikipedia,stamp in Honda D series engine .
    By looking at the specs maybe you can see the differences between units.

7. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    Yeah, but why the hell honda did those small changes? honestly... can't find nothing, just similar specs, but with that im not 100% if the pieces are going to fit or not...
    - - - Updated - - -
    For example, would this fit on mine?

8. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ya I know where you are coming from, the set up on EBay most suppliers use where they list to check your model against their chart is wrong,listing wrong generations of models for their years, can't believe no one has picked up on that yet. It adds even more confusion when trying to obtain parts ,

Martin959 likes this.
  9. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    Exactly... would this fit on my D15Z7 EK3 1999?
    - - - Updated - - -
    That one looks pretty cool, since its all needed to do a MINI - ME, as far as i know, right? :Tongue:

10. hedleyf Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't know, if you call them up they swear it will all fit but you could end up spending hours and getting nowhere. For example would that ECU run your engine? Will it need coding in ? Is the I mobilizer built into the ECU ? Will your keys need coding to it and at the end a of the day lost money and headache. Don't know the answer, I worked a lot on tuning the old school minis and in the magazines you could always read other people's tune ups and what and how they used, but on Honda not much like that seems about,
    There must be tuning forums out there considering the amount of Civics about.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not that hot on the older series engines as I have my buried mostly in K series engines.

Honda make the subtle differences in the engines mostly to cater for different emission regulations in the different markets.

The thing with changing intakes and exhaust manifolds and better flowing exhausts is you won't see any real benefits without tuning the engine on a dyno. Which means you need some way of having a writeable map.

12. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    So, and what performance upgrades can i do? would it make sense to change the intake and exhaust manifold? also the rest of the exhaust?

13. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    I had the same engine in an import EK3. The D15Z7 was based on the D15B, so similar in fact that it is still often referred to as the D15B. The D15Z7 had 3 stage VTEC; in my EK3 there was an economy light which lit when being frugal. Like the D15B it replaced it also had the same aggressive (in terms of SOHC engines) and noticeable VTEC changeover. From my previous research I found that aesthetically the engines looked the same. The engine specs were also very similar if not the same.

In terms of transferable parts I'd go so far as saying parts were mostly interchangeable across all D series engines. The difference between the D15Z7 and D15B was the 3 stage VTEC so assuming the parts are not critical to this difference then I'd suspect the parts would be interchangeable.

Martin959 likes this.
  14. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    But what can i do to get some power on this car? :Tongue:

15. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    just reading back to your original post regarding manifolds and intake, these would almost certainly be interchangeable. As mentioned in my earlier post any parts you find will be listed for the D15B rather than D15Z7 as they are in essence the same engine.
    - - - Updated - - -
    The D15B/D15Z7 is a fabulous engine. If I were Honda it would be the piece of engineering I'd be most proud of. 130bhp from a naturally aspirated 1500cc engine and MPG in the high 40s low 50s. Manufacturers today are using turbos to achieve with small engines what Honda did N/A all those years ago.

You're along the right lines in terms of breathing to gain power. Intake, exhaust would be the way to go. Beware of your intake choices though as many off the shelf items may result in no gains at all or in some cases negative gains.

Martin959 likes this.
  16. Martin959 New Member Getting Started

Spain martin Manilva
    I was thinking to get the intake manifold from Skunk2, that it comes also with the throttle as well... maybe with that one i would get some ponies :Grin:

Anything else? I was thinking about the swap, but then i will loose those MPG... and it will consume as much as the WRX that i have with a B16 engine :Tongue: hahaah

Thanks QC2! :Grin: