Service & Maintenance Questions + Oil + battery

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by n3utr1n0, Friday 25th Jan, 2013.

1. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Hi there ,

I m new here and would like to thank the admins for having this forum.
    I have bought a 99 6th Generation Accord 1.8 litre petrol. 1850cc with 130+ HP.
    The car has 90k miles on the clock and have acouple of questions :Smile:
    What oil should I use to change the existing one? Is it mandatory to go for full synthetic? Also what brand wou reccomend and what oil filter as well.
    Also I want to change the battery. What kind of AH battery should I purchase? 60 70 90? have no idea.
    And now , what s bugging me... I find that the boot is t a little bit moist , also the metal just below the rear screen. and the actual boot hood has water in it as well... WHERE on earth could this water be comming from? It would make sense to have aleak and the boot liner to be a little wet , but the actual boot hood is wet on the INSIDE.... and I have checked , there are no holes in the boot.

And last but not least , please tell me (cauz i m not from the uk originally) what are the LAW requirements when talking about fire extinguisher , medical kit and such... Where I come from , both are mandatory.... What about here ?
    Thank you a lot and have a great day:Smile:

LE: what is the oil capacity for this car? how much does it take for a chage?

Last edited: Friday 25th Jan, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and welcome to AOC

For Oil have a look at these threads

Recommended oils

http://hondakarma.com/threads/53/
    How to change (Apologies if you know)

http://hondakarma.com/threads/139/

Fuel Filter
    http://hondakarma.com/threads/fuel-filter-change.3633/

Pollen Filter

http://hondakarma.com/threads/1948/
    Battery

Since Japanese car battery are different from their european counterparts you have to go off their terminal sizes, You can go for a higher amp battery the better or you can get a Honda genuine battery which is better quality and cheaper than any motorfactor.

As for fire extinguisher & medical kit they are not mandatory as we are not so heavily integrated into European way of doing things but that another thing ..

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hello and welcome.

You can use 10W 40 or 5W 40, doesn't need to be fully synthetic, lubetechshop.co.uk is good value, a fill is 4.5 litres. Ask Holdcroft Honda about the battery and filters. AOC is affiliated to lubetech and Holdcroft.

Look underneath the car for the boot drain hole - it might be blocked. Extinguisher and first aid kit not compulsory in UK but recommended.

4. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Thank you guys, appreciate it. I will change the oil on monday and purchase a battery later next week. Cannot believe that fire extinguisher and first aid are not mandatory... such a big fine in europe... but even so I will buy both as I think it s better and u never know when somebody needs help.

Thanks again:Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Hope to find one more answer...
    My accord does not come with heated mirrors as standard (very odd considering the weather in uk). Is there any posibility to upgrade to heated mirrors? and if how do I do it? I saw on ebay that there is a switch for sale that has the heating button. if I find heated mirrors do I need to do any rewiring? or the wiring is in order from the getgo and just need to replace the switch and the mirrors with heated ones?

5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

On my old 1.8 SE the heated mirrors operated automatically in low temperatures - no switch or button.

6. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I have an S , not SE... there is no heat in the mirrors... :Smile: I drove the car for hours in low temp and rain and the rain drops never disappeared.

- - - Updated - - -

can you tell me where I could find this hole? :Smile: where it might be located?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to AOC n3utr1n0.

Why don't you pop over to the "Introduce yourself" section and say a few words about yourself and your car, maybe also post some pictures.

We also have a Accord Owners Club UK AOCUK The Exclusive Honda Accord Owners Club, Forum And Community For All Honda Owners. - VB Pro Garage section where you can upload pictures of your vehicles.

As for thanking the admins of the site, you can thank CJ (IchibanAccord) especially. See this thread for a fuller picture http://hondakarma.com/threads/3536/ :Smile:

Have all your original questions been answered. Let us know if we have missed any.

Oh by the way, I'm intrigued by your username, how did you come up with that ? Theres a thread here where you can explain if you wish to http://hondakarma.com/threads/1304/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    thanks speedyGee , I did what you recommended :Smile:

now I am left with my 2 remaining issues... Where is the drain hole for the boot and why is the boot moist and the really annoying heated mirror issue... It kinda fells like betrayal not to heave heated mirrors especially with this rain all the time... this is really bugging me a lot.

9. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Boot drain hole is underneath boot. You will need to look for it.

Just checked old paper brochure and you are right, the SE and SE Exec have heated mirrors but not the S. So you'll need to find another solution to this issue. Having said that, the last couple of weeks have been as severe as it gets in the UK, even for winter.

10. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    question is if the mirrors can be changed and if extra wiring is necessary... really want to change them.

11. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i m back with updates...
    just got in the post a new oil filter , a new air filter , some tools and some emergency equipment such as fire extinguisher and a first aid kit. hoping that the oil will be in the post in the next day or so.

I have checked the water in the trunk... kinda hate it... I found that the SEAL on the rear screen might not be tip top. I had a friend pour some water onto the back of the car and found that water is leaking in both sides of the boot... now I have to get the rear screen seal replaced and hope for the best.
    apart for the leak in the trunk the car is working ok. no engine problems so far , no other problems. I will have to find 2 wing mirrors that are heated and have an electrician connect them to the rear window heater... sorry , but I consider to have heated mirrors a must , and I do not see myself opening the window while driving to wipe the rain drops from the side mirrors. I thought that heated mirrors were standard on all vehicles , but WRONG !!!!

12. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's progress...still worth unblocking that boot drain hole as well to stop water buildup.

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's what I like about buying a new (or rather new-to-you) car, you get to treat it like a project and do things to it to bring back into full health and to the level you expect it to be at. It does take a bit of time to get there though.

14. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    the water does not reach the spare wheel so it does not reach the boot drain holes. the water it s only on the sides of the boot (extremities). and it s coming in from the side of the rear screen on both cases.
    thinking to put some silicone on the rear screen seal , if it does not work , then I will replace the rear screen rubber seal and have the screen refitted.

- - - Updated - - -

update...

today I received the oil :Smile:... will have to change it next week on my day off , no time now... but today I have replaced the air filter (on my own :Smile:). also today I replaced the mast antenna (also on my own). the plastic cable with the spikes was broken so I had to change the whole thing. Had to dismantle the motor to get the old plastic cable out (broken) and place the new antenna... took me about 30 minutes but me and a friend did it :Smile:

still to do: - change the oil and filter , change the battery , fix the rear number plate support (change the screws) , fix the leaking back screen and change the tail lights and boot gaskets... in the future I also plan to change the idiot (should never exist) wing mirrors with heated ones. I think that the lack of standard heated mirrors bugs me the most... sits on my brain. but when I come to power they will be standard for the whole EU... just like ABS.

15. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    update 2

today changed oil and oil filter. I can actually feel the car running better than before. The old oil was watery and had no viscosity to it. along side with the air filter , the car runs much better and it s noticeable

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good job :Thumbup:

What I do when I first get a car is give it two oil changes 1000 miles apart. Reason being even after an oil change some of the old oil still gets left around the engine. By doing two consecutive oil changes you get rid of more of the old oil. After these two changes you can settle down to your normal intervals knowing that have you clean oil in your car.

You'd be surprised at what a difference this makes.

17. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    thanks speedy :Smile: when 1600 kilometers or 1500 I will change the oil again. good idea.

Also today i started the car after 4 days. the battery is crap but still started... will need to replace battery when time is at hand. also I found out that after 4 days rain water build up only on the left side where the antenna motor is placed. will have to properly seal it to see if that is the actual case of water getting in. also I will take the tail lights off to check the gaskets when time :Smile:

I bought on ebay:
    - spanners (just in case)
    - pliers
    - screwdriver set
    - fire extinguisher
    - triangle
    - 2x first aid kits
    - high visibility vest.

last 4 are mandatory in europe and I will be traveling to france and other countries in the future so it s a must.

have a nice day all!

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi,

Could you take pictures of the surrounding area of the antenna, I have a theory to why this is happening but need to have a look at it. IIRC I have seen this before many many moons ago.

Remove the rear seats and see if mice,rats or rodents have not been nibbling at stuff, I hope they haven't.

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Which post are you replying to there CJ ?

Have you posted against the wrong thread ?

20. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    this thread bud , as he got the water leak issue. :Smile: