Electrical & Lights Quick question regarding car battery.

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 28th Dec, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Okay so the car wouldn't start last night so I went to my local auto parts store and they only had some french no name batteries. So I'm going to ECP tomorrow to pick up a battery, I know a genuine honda battery would be ideal but I simply cannot wait that long. Which of the below batteries would people here go for.

a) Exide Premium Battery 027 4 Year Guarantee

Prefer this as it has the highest stats overall, price £65

OR

b) Bosch S5 Battery 027 5 Year Guarantee

Bosch brand name better? Also assume the price is £70 not £82

c) Exide Excell Battery 027 3 Year Guarantee

Basic battery, also Bosch S3 available with worse specs at same price

Also I know it says Audi A3 above but ECP think my car should have a 005 battery fitted when in fact it should be 027 fitted.

Input is much appreciated :Smile:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Considered them but the only place who I can get it from by tomorrow is Halfords who are asking £120, I don't mind stretching but when it is around £50 extra I'm going to shy away from it. Shame ECP don't stock Yuasa :Frown:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    HOW MUCH 120 you can get two Honda genuine batteries for that amount... i am sure you can last a few days mate.

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yup that's Halfrauds for you, although it is the best silver type. Anyway problem is if I don't get it fitted tomorrow then I have to wait till next Sunday to get it done.

Also I googled exide vs bosch and the support for bosch has been overwhelming so Bosch S5 it is unless I can find another Yuasa dealer nearby.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bosch vs exide batteries?

Also I'm going for the high performance batteries due to speaker system fitted which is probably why the current battery died

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It would be the cold and the lack of full charge which killed the battery bud, what's the Amp Hours: (Ah) on the current battery

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bog standard halfrauds cr*p - 480 cca and 56AH. In their defence the car has always started first time before yesterday and even now I've done a few local miles and its started well.

Now I'm thinking whether to go for a high performance battery or not if the alternator can't charge it properly. The Bosch S5 range is proven to be reliable for short journeys which I do a fair amount of - I know its marketing but many people across various forums vouch for its capabilities which is why I'm getting it.

Last edited: Sunday 29th Dec, 2013
  9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fitted the Bosch S5 on Monday. Since then the car has been starting first time no problem. Only issue I had was on the first journey where all the lights on the dashboard lit up and I lost power steering for 10 seconds (how people drove without power steering I would never know!). Since then no problem :Thumbup:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  10. james m Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

if I remember right bosch batteries come with a 10 year warranty. always handy

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Max I have seen is 5 years warranty for bosch batteries could you point out to the link which states its 10 years . if they did that well the other battery firms should just pack their bags and shut shop for good.lol

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I also have a Halfraud's Battery which I inherited, a couple of times in the past month it's struggled to crank the engine. The Bosch S5 looks like quite a good choice, keep us updated as to how it performs.

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Bosch S5 is their top of the range battery and it offers 5 year guarantee. I haven't seen any battery with a longer guarantee. Also so far the battery has been perfect, during the holidays I rarely make journeys longer than 5 miles and all through them the speakers are on full with my phone being charger, electric demisters etc. No problems whatsoever.

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I put a brand new S2000 battey ( Japanese Fukikawa ) in my first gen in 2007 seven year later its still strong despite the car isnt used more than 300 miles a year.

BTW Honda batteries have 3 years warranty it lasted twice the warranty period. :Smile: BTW the battery is attached to trickle charger when the car is not in use.