Tools RAC 10pc set - thoughts

Discussion in 'Tools & Equipment' started by Skooshbag, Friday 13th Feb, 2015.

1. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    As with most things, price is a factor. Been reading around and hearing that Arcan jacks come highly recommended, but unfortunatley they are well outside my price range, so i saw this while looking for a birthday present for my daughter on tesco Buy RAC 10pc Garage Kit from our Garage Equipment range - Tesco.com

endorsed by the RAC, includes:

2 tonne trolley jack
    2x axle stands
    2x chocks
    4 way wheel wrench
    oil filter wrench
    oil pan
    seat
    mat

worth a punt for the odd job or avoid like the plague?

Ichiban likes this.
  2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Personally I'd rather buy other bits of kit that might be better. I wouldn't bother with the seat or mat, cardbox box out the recycle bin is enough for me lol, or old camping mat or even just on the ground itself. Spend money on better individual tools for the job.

We tend to prefer the oil cap removal tool due to access space under the vehicle, think these can be had for around £7 from ebay

tn1_2RemoveFilter_zps65b5f8e0.

I prefer these Halfords solid style plastic wheel chocks to folding ones (about £6 a pair)

tn1_3awheelchock.

and a solid axle stand, rather than folding (just my preference - Halfords again 2 ton)

and a drain pan like this for £15

413bXz0FaEL.

3. sgoaty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scott
    Depends what you plan on doing with them im sure the kit itself will be fine. I have a similar seat and i tend to use it when Im doing brakes and its always nice to have somewhere comfy to sit when reading a service manual. I agree with Andy about the filter wrench probably not being the best but the one linked to is great if you only ever planning changing the oil on one car and possibly with genuine filters only. A cheap strap wrench would be better in my opinion or even one like this

Oil-Filter-Wrench_zpscd6d9340.
    - - - Updated - - -
    How do you edit posts on here by the way?
    Thanks
    Scott

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Ichiban and AndyB1976 like this.
  5. sgoaty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scott
    That Halfords kit does look better. I never realised the RAC axle stands were folding. Im not a big fan of that idea at all.

6. Skooshbag Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Lee Dumfries
    I had a look at that Halfords kit earlier Nels, it looks pretty decent, but then I read a few reviews (various places) saying the jack started to buckle and crack after a few uses

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I think the kit actually looks really good for the price, though @AndyB1976 has nailed down some good points.

Before I was able to start investing in decent equipment I used Silverline/Draper products from Amazon, very cheap, free delivery. The original jack (Silverline) lasted all of a year of abuse before starting to go, but you can't really go wrong with solid axle stands.

I'd also recommend a drain bottle over a drain pan because it's easy to move about when full:

8. sgoaty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scott
    Thats strange about the jacks. Im on my second Halfords trolley jack, the pump gave out on the first one after about 3 or 4 years. I have had the second one 5 or 6 years now and it still works fine and has no damage to the structure at all although it is a slightly different looking design to the one pictured.

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle

Yeah that looks a better buy, I also use a sealed tray type but the cost has rocketed, I paid just over £30 for it when I got it a few years back

The thing about the small jacks is they don't have the ability to raise one end of the car, they don't have the reach or stability - my wee Halfords one twists due to road camber. when working on the street. So its a bit of a time saver if working on either axle and a bit safer too if you can stretch your finances to a better jack.

DeviateDefiant likes this.