Service & Maintenance Radiator protection 2.2CTDi

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Bounder, Thursday 14th Jul, 2016.

1. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    While washing the car I was cleaning the front bumper and looked into the gap below the numberplate, where the radiator is visible, I was shocked at the amount of flattened fins where flies and stones/debris have flattened the fins completely closing off any airflow through the radiator.
    I guess this is mostly due to motorway and backroad driving at reasonable speeds, any debris becomes a missile.

I have ordered a set of Japanese Keiba radiator pliers that are designed to straighten bent fins, and will attempt to straighten them during the holidays.
    but I also would like to make a wire guard to protect the rad from future damage as much as possible without unduly restricting airflow.
    My idea is to get some 6mm weldmesh in fine steel wire like you see for aviaries or lizard enclosures and cut some to size to at least take some energy out of the small stones and insects that have flattened the fins.
    Anyone else done something similar?

I could of course buy a new one but they are not cheap and this one is fine just damaged, its really the impact on cooling and the aircon radiator behind it that I am concerned about not the looks.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    I think that's a good plan. I have seen such solutions applied to Honda Jazz on another forum.
    Cheaper than buying a radiator really for which, if I am not mistaken, @2.4 8thGen had to wait for ages to become available from Honda.

3. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Having just googled Honda Fit radiator protection, the post I read was about using Gutter guard material, I have a heap of that stuff lying around after doing my gutters a few years ago so I may just look at using that instead of metal.
    Watch this space!

legend-ary likes this.
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I will be quite interested in seeing the result. Later today I will post photos of my condenser and radiator.. .don't forget to NOT scream :Grin:

5. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Have a look at mine before you scream...
    Rad-damage.

6. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

:crazyeyes::shock::crazyeyes::shock:

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

I guess looking at yours I think mine are absolutely mint by comparison lol

image. image.

8. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Yep yours should come up well if given some care.
    Once I get these pliers I will have to take the bumper off and the rad out and then try and straighten them.
    I am going to clean it first, they really gather dirt especially between the condenser and the rad.

9. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    Yes that's correct it was about 2 months I had to wait :Ohdear: