Body, Paint & Styling Radiator protection.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Monday 6th Jul, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    The radiator grille on my 2014 CR-V Special Edition is non-standard, consisting of a honeycomb pattern with (what I think) are very large holes. Additionally the lower air intake has virtually no protection at all. Having suffered a holed radiator from a rogue stone on a car I had some years ago, I wanted to increase the protection offered by both grllles as both the engine and A/C radiators are very exposed to such damage. They are also silver in colour and can be easily seen through the grilles, which when the car is black, doesn't look particularly appealing.

After a bit of research, I settled on black PTFE mesh which is weatherproof, very strong, withstands temperatures up to 500F, is relatively soft, can be cut with ordinary scissors and cheap.

I wanted to locate it behind the grilles but looking at the bodywork, decided I didn't want to embark on a major dismantling job. I therefore cut it to shape and fitted onto the outside of the grilles using black cable ties - see photo.

Some people may find it unsightly, however it is more noticeable in the photo than in reality and I think it's a small price to pay for piece of mind and intact radiators!

I have been using it during the recent heatwave and it has had no impact on the coolant temperatures or the A/C efficiency.

Keith
    Radiator protection.JPG

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keith It would look better if it was fitted internally then the honeycomb grill would show and the meshing would blend in , it just looks ghastly now mate.

I doubt you would have suffered any major issues unless you were doing a lot high speed runs on gravel road.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Agreed about the internal fitting but it was just too much work. I always knew it wouldn't appeal to everyone but what price peace of mind. As I mentioned in the OP, I have had a radiator holed by a stone in the past.

By the way, it is very easily removed with no trace it was ever fitted.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Completely agree - it would look so much better fitting it internally. 30 minute job and you won't even see it. I personally think it spoils the nice lines of the car fitted outside, but glad you are happy with it

5. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

After seeing this thread I thought I might as well try this as the grill is off already.

I got to say a big thank you to my Dad for this. I need to give him my bumper to try next.

Halfords anodised black mesh @ £25 wasn't cheap but shouldn't rust. Especially as the whole lots been covered in satin black and held on with black silicone.

20160208_200942. 20160208_200949. 20160208_201051. 20160208_201104.

legend-ary, Ichiban and Nighthawk like this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The old man ain't daft is he @Racy Jace good job looks factory.

Nighthawk and Racy Jace like this.
  7. Nighthawk Guest

Looks good. Did you paint over the areas when you cut it to fit to protect those areas from future rust issues?

Racy Jace and Ichiban like this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Neat !

Racy Jace likes this.
  9. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I gave my Dad the instuctions on how to do it which he actually followed perfectly.

I told my Dad to make a template out of paper first as I wanted a perfect fit so there's no chance of the grill fowling when it's clipped in.

Once the mesh is cut I asked for the bare ends to be painted to stop rust. He decided to paint the whole lot satin black which was fine.

The next step was to hold it in postion with bathroom silicone. The idea being if Honda say its in the way when being fitted it can be pulled off. I was expecting clear silicone but my Dad had black which looks way better.

I think my Dad was pleased with it as he asked about my bumper so he'll have to do that next too.

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

Perfect job. Looks good. Look forward to seeing a picture of it on your car

Racy Jace likes this.
  11. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

BALLS!!!!

The original grill mesh was designed with big holes to allow a screw driver through to release some clips I think.

I may need to modify it slightly now. I look at it tomorrow and come up with a solution.

12. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    That is a great idea. If you look at my Jazz's radiator you will find that the bottom part is all minced and as opposed to the Civic it doesnt have any mesh/protection .. gives me an ideea!!:Wink:

13. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    It is certainly a tidy, well executed mod., well done!

Personally I just didn't want to start dismantling a brand new car and I was a bit worried (unnecessarily as it turns out) that I might have to remove it again if it affected cooling given I put it on during last summer's heatwave.

Anyway, having had a rad holed by a stone I wanted the piece of mind and as it can be removed/refitted in literally seconds, I wasn't concerned about a perfect fit but it's good enough for me.

Keith

14. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I have to say I do love Keiths black edition. I think black actually suits the CR-V best.

@155695 I can understand not wanting to take the grill off but now I've got the instuctions it might not be too bad. If anyone wants them let me know.

I've used this mesh before on my old celica to protect the radiator and was fine but I'll keep an eye out on the the temp gauge just incase.

15. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

20160209_220617. 20160209_220655. 20160209_220706. 20160209_220716. 20160209_220527.