ICE & HFT Radio interference

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by davemazo, Sunday 1st Jan, 2012.

1. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Having terrible interference problems with my radio on all stations. My car is a diesel tourer with satnav.

I know the aerial is in the rear side window (don`t know if its both side windows or just one of them) and I remember CJ you mentioned elsewhere that removing the connecting wires to the aerial and then applying a thin smear of vaseline might help. Where exactly is the connection made and how do I get to it. I`m going to try this first as its a no cost fix if it (hopefully) works before I start worrying about a faulty radio.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Dave, Out of interest are all the radio station like this or only a handful? The reason I went through a crazy month of troubleshooting my radio of the same symptoms. I went to extreme lengthy to be away from built up area or high-voltage power line or any other man made disturbance. I found that national broadcasted radio station like radio 1 or bbc1 bbc2 were perfect. I listen to a lot of local west Yorkshire radio stations and I get a lot of chatter when I flick between for the local to a national radio station in the same location of the disturbance the radio reception is perfect. So I have put that down to broadcasting or the proximity to the nearest radio station.

However on the rear near side boot window have a look for a connector on the window remove that and use some contact cleaner to make sure the connector is securely held on to the tab, be gentle with the little tab.

Give that a go if that doesn’t help you need to go to a dealer of a automotive electrician to do continuity tests on the wires on the glass and the antenna cable to test which is the weak link. If the test comes back clean that is the amp which is underneath the ashtray. If that is faulty you talking mega bucks.

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers CJ, it happens on all stations. I mainly listen to Radio 2 and a couple of local stations and I have the same problem. Even when I`m on the motorway travelling back from my daughters in Rugby the radio is unuseable and I have to listen to my Xcarlink, which works perfectly by the way, as does the cd player. Frustrating when I`m trying to find out some football scores.

I`ll have a look at the aerial tomorrow. Out of interest whats the element in the offside rear window for?

Just remembered as well that recently I was driving back from London and got stuck in a few traffic jams on the motorway and minor roads. I don`t remember the TMC kicking in while I was using the satnav. I was reading your thread earlier that the TMC is reliant on radio reports and if I`m not getting a good reception then that would explain it

Last edited: Sunday 1st Jan, 2012
  4. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Did it work ok before you installed the xcarlink? Wondering if something may have been disturbed or not pushed back fully.

5. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

No mate the Xcarlink has been in for about 4 years now if not longer. The interference has only started in the past few months and has been gradually getting worse.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The elements in the glass are the antenna wires embedded into the glass , rather than have a annoying aerial sticking out the top . It a neat solution.

TMS is totally dependent on radio, if the radio reception is poor TMC grinds to a halt too. Right this is the plan of action

• clean the connector on glass, if that doesn't help remove the C pillar trim around the back of the near side rear seat. You will find a magic box with antenna wires.
    • that doesn't cure it continuity test on the antenna wires on the glass and the main antenna cable at the back of the HVAC dash.
    • remove the sat nav HVAC console as Paul points out, revisit all the connections at the back to make sure something hasn't wedged it way out.
    • if all of them fail it has to be your amplifier.
    lets us know bud it has to be a simple fix.

7. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks CJ I`ll get onto it ASAP. So is the aerial on both sides of the car or do the wires in the offside window do something else?

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah ok. Worth checking though I suppose.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Apologies I have given slight wrong info I am just going off my symptoms and fix, Both of rear quarter glasses on the tourers have the antenna wires. However on the left C pillar there is a antenna coil as shown here. Each the earth of antenna coil make sure it has a good contact. You may have knocked it when you were removing your separation nets at the back.

These pictures will help you.

Window Antenna Coil AOCUK.

Here is the Tourer Audio Systematics

Tourer Audio Systematics  AOCUK 1.

10. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks CJ, that will be a great help I`ll get on with it as soon as I can and report back

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nice one hope it's a simple fix.

12. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a go today at trying to fix this and after about 10 minutes of pulling and tugging at the trim panels I decided to leave well alone. I could hear a few things breaking off and so left it at that before the whole trim panel snapped or at the least it wouldn`t go back together with a tight fit.

Thanks for the advice but I`ll just have to put up with a crackly radio or listen to the xcarlink

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    atleast you tried, when we have our summer meet maybe I could assist and fix this for you. or get to a dealer and ask them have a look ?

14. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Summer meet??? looking forward to that radio or no radio

I might have a look at the other end where the aerial plugs into the head unit. I can have that out in minutes

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yes bud the summer meet is in the planning stages at the moment, but it will be great it will be worth it.

good luck with the HVAC console.:Grin:

16. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hope you are not planning this meet for end of July or beginning of August:Angry:

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why don't we start a new thread keep this on track.:Wink: