Accord/7th Gen Radio Problem Premium Sound System

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Paul J, Saturday 10th Sep, 2016.

1. Paul J Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Paul Ferndown
    Hi, new to this forum so please excuse me if I have posted this in the wrong place.
    I love my Accord but have recently experienced a problem with the radio, it sounds like the antenna is weak. I spoke to a Honda dealer and they suggested that it may be a problem with the antenna amplifiers that are in the rear of the car just ahead of the rear side glass (it is an estate). They told me it is a lot of work to get to the part and will probable cost in excess of £500 to repair. I spoke to local car hi-FI installers and they did not want to get involved as they said it is impossible to tell if they are faulty and Honda will not take back parts once opened.

So I had the idea to fit an Xcarlink unit with an aux input and then I could use my phone for internet radio, any thoughts on this???

Another thought was to fit a standard roof antenna, would this work?? I am not too worried about doing this as I have no plans to change the car, it is a 2004 with just 60K miles and drives like a dream.

Please any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Paul J and Ichiban like this.
  3. Paul J Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks for the links, from what I see in the long thread " Radio interference" no one has been able to get to the bottom of this problem. It would suggest that I have maybe damaged the elements of the antenna on the glass, I am a musician an I carry equipment all the time. It was interesting to note that it was never solved but was overcome by adding the Xcarlink and using the aux in with internet radio.

4. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    have you recently started using a car charger or 12v device? that often causes interference, particular with cheaper car chargers/dash cams

legend-ary and Paul J like this.
  5. Paul J Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks qc2, nothing changed but I will check my tomtom although I have had that for 2 years and this problem started about 6 months ago.

6. Paul J Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Problem solved!!!! I unpluged my Tomtom from the lighter socket and suddenly the radio is perfect again. But I had the Tomtom before the problem started?? then the penny dropped, I had added a 2 way usb replacing the original Tomtom part so that I could charge my phone at the same time. I reinstated the Tomtom usb psu and all is well.

Many many thanks to qc2.

legend-ary likes this.
  7. qc2 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom quince Bromley
    Glad you diagnosed it. You should look closely at amazon reviews re interference on USB adaptors. The better ones are usually branded, don't tend to fit flush but are shielded