Electrical & Lights Rain sensor

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by intruder, Tuesday 27th Nov, 2012.

1. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Rokas Bristol, UK
    Hi all!

I was just reading an article Introduction to the 7th Generation Accord about 7th Generation Accords and then one thing got my attention - rain sensor. Is it something what only some Accords have by owners option when buying a brand new car or it must be in all 7th Generation Accords without exception? The reason is - I don't feel I have this function in my car.... :Blink: or I don't know how it should work.. :Unknown:

Anyone knows about it more?

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 29th Mar, 2014
  2. dva5230 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There's probably a difference between UK Accords and US Accords, but I can tell you that my 7th Generation does not have a rain sensor. Automatic wipers? I wish lol. I don't think any trim level of the 2003-2007 North American Accords have a feature like that, but I'm not sure about the UK version. But if it's of any comfort to you, we don't have this feature in 7th gens across the pond. :Unknown:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think its a standard feature of the "Executive" models.

The first position after the off position is the auto wipers. Leaving the wiper stalk in this position all the time gives you auto wipers. Works really well.

4. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hmm... so only in EX models? And not in Type-S? I'll check those positions once again today. But don't think I've got any position for auto wipers... :Unknown:

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    intruder likes this.
  6. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Okay.. Whatever.. I'm absolutely fine and without auto wipers :Wink: Never had in previous cars, so didn't go "posh" yet. I'll say auto wipers are for lazy drivers :lol: The good driver has to have time for all adjustments when driving including wipers :Whistle:

AccordCU2 likes this.
  7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

aww billy no mates, love it people don't have a feature then to talk it down.:Rolf:

Just Joking.

8. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I just love my auto wipers :Whistle:

9. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

10. intruder Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Bla bla bla :Whistle:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quality !! :Rolf:

intruder likes this.
  12. Jaynemc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm glad Intruder has mentioned about rain sensors I was going to say something about this. (Don't be too sad Intruder that you don't have them). I have them on my Tourer Exec and they are the one thing that annoys me about that car. Sometimes they seem to set themselves up just great and are wiping the screen just when I need it other times they leave it far too long and there is too much rain on there for good visibility. I'm then shouting at them which makes no difference what-so-ever and then have to switch the wipers to manual and that's not what's its about is it? I wonder if these rain sensors get less efficient over time? Anybody else got a similar problem? Jayne

intruder likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Mine seem to work just right.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  15. thumper Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Essex
    If the sensor gets ANY dirt on either the wipers will go flat out or not wipe when needed.
    A quick squirt of screen wash and all's back to normal.

16. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Accord 04 Exec is the first car that I've even driven with auto wipers ,and i suppose its like anything ,if you have never had them you could say they are silly,or whats the point ,however when they work ,like everything else on a Honda you say Wow they are incredible ,i know a fella with a Focus and he was saying i don't see the point they never work when they are supposed to ,i replied i know why Fords put them on ,Sales Marketing ,and im not surprised they don't work properly ,no wonder i don't have any friends he wasnt impressed
    - - - Updated - - -
    I wish it would rain here in Middlesbrough so i could use my Auto wipers ,I've never known it so dry .

17. Jaynemc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi folks - thanks for the replies on wipers in auto mode they made me smile :Smile:. We were having a discussion in our house last night about how they work and I was advised to google it - my other half drives a Focus so he was unable to enlighten me on the mechanics of the process - so I am none the wiser really. It seems some days they work fine other days they don't ... I think maybe they only like certain types of rain?

Thumper - are you suggesting the sensor can be easily cleaned? Can I take it off ... where do I squirt that washing up liquid???

Muchas gracias .... Jayne

- - -

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Jayne has your windscreen ever been replaced. Quite often when a winscreen is replaced the rain sensor is not reinstalled correctly.

I've not heard of anyone removing the rain sensor to clean it. Reinstalling wouldn't be easy as the rain sensor needs to sit right, I think it may need like a air tight seal around it too, this could well be the cause of your problem.

As to how they work, quite simply they have magic pixies inside them that look out for rain. Alternatively but less commonly they may use ultrasonic or LED technology :Smile:

19. Jaynemc Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆