Off-Topic Raise a glass........…

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by RobB, Thursday 16th May, 2013.

1. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Raise a glass tonight to the brave men of 617 sq who flew 70 years ago tonight, to destroy the German dams.
    Truly brave men, in reality boys as some of them were only just out of high school.
    Ichiban likes this.
  2. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hear hear. I was privileged to have the Lancaster fly over my house 4 times this afternoon.

Malibu and Ichiban like this.
  3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hmm, strange reason to raise a glass if you ask me.
    Will you do the same to remember the bombing of Dresden, or will the Americans' raise a glass to remember the nukes on Japan?
    Or do you see the dam mission different because the target were no 'people'?

I have huge respect for everybody (!) who fought (bravely) in this horrible war, but I can impossibly raise a glass for dropping a bomb.
    I'm pretty convinced that all parties fought in the believe they were at the right side and that in the end 'the soldier' and 'the civilian' were the victim on ether side.

You guys live in UK and probably you see this different?
  4. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I see brave men who only went to war because some murderous (expletive) decided he wanted to take on the world.
    The bombing of Dresden or Hamburg or Cherbourg or Coventry were very different bombing raids.
    Lets not forget Hitler decided to start the Blitz, we decided to finish it.
    The atomic bombs dropped on Japan were also very different, but the Japanese were never going to surrender to conventional warfare.
    I will absolutely raise a glass to the innocent civilians who were killed on all sides, but don't expect me not to have the upmost respect for the brave men who fought and died so I may have the life I have today.
    The same goes for the all the men and women who have died for this country in recent years.

Just for the record I asked for a glass to be raised to the brave men who flew the Dambusters mission, not the 4 1/2 ton lump of metal they carried under their planes.
    Ichiban likes this.
  5. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just to add I expect the occupied countries of Europe were pretty glad we liberated them, by taking the actions that this country and its allies did. Not just on one occasion either.
  6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Rob,
    Yes, you see it different, that's clear.
    We could start a whole discussion, but in the end we will not change each others thoughts on WW2.
    You're raised in a whole different environment, at a winner's side of the war.
    Know I did not want to offend somebody.
  7. bijomaru Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Rob Swindon

I am Polish so could see it from totally different perspective, but it comes down to the fact that I am sure no one meant to offend you here.

These pilots have done what had to be done to stop this terrible war.

We should not dwell on history and divides, but remember them so that we don't make the same mistakes ...
  8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thank you Bijomaru, I don't think I could have said it better.
    iDsi, no one was a winner in WW1 or WW2.
    War is a horrible thing, I just want to remember some brave men who did something incredible 70 years ago tonight. 53 of which who died 70 years ago tonight.

Everybody please do not turn this thread into a right or wrong of war.
  9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

There will always be wars and that we have to accept. I have the up most respect for all war heros past and present we are forever in their debt as they laid down they're lives to protect the way we live ours. Another thing to remember is that they were all soldiers etc and were only following orders. Anyway my glass is raised !!!
  10. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Re: Raise a glass........…

Here here Rob!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I think we certainly do!

- - - Updated - - -

There are no winners in war!
  11. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Must be another culture. I can't imagine we drink alcohol for such an occasion.
    Typically we go to the church and have a lunch afterwards (11 November) to remember all casualties (including the other side).
    For sure: I'm the last one to forget what happened and visit at least once per year 'something' that reminds of those days (France defence line, Belgian cemitaries, Belgian battle of the Bulge area, German tank museum....).
  12. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As Rob has previously mentioned, please don't turn this thread into something it isn't!
  13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    This is a great photo. 4 times in 1 day is pretty good going.

I'm fortunate to live on the flight path to the Lancaster's base (depending on it's destination that day) and during the summer this flies very low directly over my house all the time. I usually see it on at least 8 occasions a year and sometimes 2 or 3 times in a day. Who needs to go to an air show! And yes I still run out into the garden like a little kid every time I hear it coming! Unfortunately by the time I get there it's usually too late to get a few snaps. One year I'll get a decent camera and camp out in the garden till I get some decent shots.

RobB, well said! We should never forget the people who gave up their freedom and what they did to protect ours.
  14. Merk1981 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. It was the nest I could manage with my phone in one hand and my daughter in the other! I live about 10 miles from Derwent reservoir. The Lancaster took several passes over a memorial service being held in my home town. Two of the crew who were killed in the raid were local.
  15. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Derwent reservoir dam was where the original Lancaster crews practised before the bombing run. It most matched their targets.