Engine & Gearbox Randomly low idle, hesitation

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by synaesthesia, Tuesday 8th Oct, 2013.

1. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Odd one, at seemingly random times, usually when I've just started off in the morning, the idling speed of my 1.8 99 accord seems to like sitting at 2-300. Just enough to keep it from cutting out.
    When I first turn it over in the morning it's fine and sits at 700ish, but get round the corner and slow to give way at a junction, it dips right down and you almost feel it going to stall (but it never does).

Also, this may be related, sometimes when pulling off there's some real hesitation - only lasts for a second or so and absolutely fine after.

Anything I should be looking out for there? No squealing from any belts, clutch is 9 months old. Only been happening for the last couple of weeks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    EGR plate requires a clean?

3. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Sorry, the what plate? :Smile: Guessing that's exhaust gas recirc but thought that was a valve

- - - Updated - - -

I've found the EGR valve, and some of the youtube videos I've found on cleaning it are a bit "whut? How the hell is that going to help?"

I've also learned something today too, re shorting the OBD cable to get error messages flash up codes via SRS/EM lights. All clear! :Grin: Took a video of my rev counter, and typically it idles and behaves rather well. Starts off at 1200-1300rpm, within 20 seconds though it's settled down to 7-800. And stays there. Gah, not even computers are this finickity!

Last edited: Tuesday 8th Oct, 2013
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  5. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Ah, awesome cheers :Smile: Searching didn't bring much up. My google-fu fails me :Frown:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    strange search worked did for me.. search works you have to have patience when all fails you have to trawl through the sections.. I recommend it.

The joy of finding a answer by looking is far higher than just google top ten.

7. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    More than aware :Grin: It often doesn't help when you've been searching for PGR.. :Wink:
    This is something for me to tackle at the weekend. Also, in case anyone else is looking for this particular engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8N-SE047VY
    Time to get some new gaskets in :Grin:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ETCG clips hee haw cowboy

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

For what it's worth my car does the same thing too whenever I start it but I guess that's natural (mileage 80k, new clutch 5 mnths)?

10. synaesthesia Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nick Derby
    Bit of redex used to sort it for me although the new stuff doesn't seem half as potent.
    Don't pay any mind to ETCG stuff normally because of the yank-quotient but regardless, it's the same process outlined in the other thread :Smile: Sometimes it's just good to see it actually being done, people learn in different ways.

Last edited: Wednesday 9th Oct, 2013
  11. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

HI, MY OWNERS MANUAL SAYS THAT IT IS NORMAL FOR THE CAR TO RUN AT HIGHER REVS ON START UP THEN DROP WHEN ENGINE IS AT NORMAL DRIVING TEMPRATURE MINE IS ALLWAYS SAME AS YOURS :Thumbup:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    please no posts in all Caps it looks like you are shouting!

13. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    i had the problem. after replacing lambda probe it s ok now.

14. avander.uk Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My car is still doing it. MIL comes on but no code? Had the EGR off n cleaned used redx and still no joy with her . New car required I think