General Rattle at slow speeds

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by LAN3Y, Monday 25th Jul, 2016.

1. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom LAN3Y Leicester
    Hi Guys

just recently when starting to reverse of pulling away up hill i get a rattle (almost like dropping a metal cooking tray on the floor) noise coming from i believe the centre section but not 100%

has anyone else had similar before?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Exhaust knocking somewhere. Heat shield on the Cat. Or perhaps a driveshaft knock ?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It will be the heatsheild most probably

4. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks guys i suspected it but not been able to get under the car. Is it an easy fix just to tighten up again or is it time for a replacement?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will be corroded you can get a local fabricator to weld up and repair them new one will be expensive if you can get them. @Holdcroft Honda can you confirm?

6. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

just thinking, could this not just be removed?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yeah it can be removed but not recommended as the chance of car fires increases. The cat does get very very hot and if any dry combustible lands and attaches itself your car will be on fire.

or you park your car on dry grass and walk away you will start a fire and your car will be toast!

Harvey likes this.
  8. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As above its most likely to be the heat shield for the cat coming off. you might be able to get some long or large jubilee clips and tighten them up around the cat and thus clamp the heatshield together to stop it vibrating.

LAN3Y and Zebster like this.
  9. LAN3Y Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the advice, i got round to having a look yesterday, the top half of the heat shield was completely loose so that came off, the bottom half was held in by 1 bolt so that's also off now.

thanks again

Harvey likes this.
  10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had a look under mine and realised mine where both long gone. Don't think you would have too much trouble without them

LAN3Y likes this.