Exhaust System rattle from below the car around cat/flexi area?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by liamgtturbo, Thursday 12th Sep, 2013.

1. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

getting a rattle from below the car a slight revs from idle to 1k blipping the throttle. sounds like a tingling noise any ideas? im thinking exhaust flexi as I've checked the heat shields etc as i get an exhaust fumes smell in cabin on start up. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks liam. car is an accord 2004 cdti

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

any ideas on the rattle. I've had the fumes on start up since i bought the car. they dissappear when driving

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It can be anything Liam can't just say what it is .. you have already looked at the exhaust I presume under the hoist? there will be something lose,rusted, busted or touching without looking at its hard.

5. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yea I've checked the system. i only get the tingle when i blip the throttle. il have to look into the exhuast mani though

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Could you record the sound and post it?

7. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I can't sorry. Just a faint tingling noise coming from below sounds tingly springy but then it goes away. Only happens blipping the throttle. Is the manifold a big fix?

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would say check the top cat shield its hidden if the top part is busted you can't easily spot it . Like mine http://hondakarma.com/threads/5421/
    yes mate manifold is a big job, there is a DIY guide for that on here have a look.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  9. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Very helpful thanks. My cat guard is corroded and it sounds like you are describing my noise. I tried to weld the guard today still the same but I'm have a better look as I hadnt much time today. The fumes are only now and again on idle. Going to call honda tomorrow to see what they say.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Keep us posted mate.. and pictures of what you find and repair method will help.

11. liamgtturbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had a better look today. The rattle seems to be linked to the manifold, the noise is around that area. I ruled out the cat cover. I'm assuming it's a manifold now. Another issue I have is the steering column buzzing is fix for it?

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There is a manifold heat shield too.. have a look from the top..

E__3400.

13. 098Joe Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had same noise on a Skoda once and it was the honeycomb (made of ceramic) in the cat breaking up. I have had the cracked manifolds but that did not make any noises, you can try switching the aircon recirculate off on the air con if fumes stop then good indicator that manifold is split as the intakes for cabin are right near it.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That the difference VAG group does not use shrink type of cats like the Japanese do .. German mentality is build em fast stack em high and sod the quality .

You cannot shatter the ceramic monolith in a accord unless you climb a bolder or do a couple of Super special stages of a rally track.