HVAC Re-circulation mode.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by 155695, Tuesday 30th Jun, 2015.

1. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Anyone know why when the auto function on the A/C is switched on, the system immediately goes into re-circulation mode. If the re-circulation is switched off, the auto indication goes out but the system still functions normally. The handbook appears silent on this particular feature.

Thanks

Keith

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    it's the same on my FR-V, , once it gets cool enough it will switch back.

3. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Thanks for that. I wondered if it was something to do with that as the handbook does say that if you want to cool the car down quickly put the auto system on and switch it to re-circulation mode. As mentioned in my original post however, my car goes into re-circulation mode as soon as the A/C is switched to auto, although I suppose this could be something to do with driving in the exceptionally hot weather (28 to 31) we've had in the last few days.

Actually now I think about it, I have come across a number of things in the handbook that are different from my actual vehicle (excepting those things where it states that the particular function is not on all versions) and I'm beginning to wonder if I have the correct handbook.

Keith

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My Accord does this. It's easier for the AC when it's in recirc, so it uses this mode whenever the set cabin temperature is a lot cooler than the actual cabin temperature.

5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    As @Zebster says, the air con runs more efficiently if it's cooling the air it's cooling rather than trying to cool the hot / hotter air being drawn from outside. Once at the set required temp in the car it turns the air con off the regulates the temp by switching to outside air again and back to air con when required.

6. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    Went out this evening with an ambient temp. of 21C, some 7 or 8 degrees lower than the last few journeys. With A/C on auto it didn't go into recirculation mode. I think that proves the point made by the posters above. Thanks for your help.

Keith

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

When the car's been out in the sun, the interior temperature soars.
    I usually try to vent the hot air in the car by opening the windows first.
    Once this is done (only takes a couple of minutes) close the windows and set to auto/re-circulate. Cools the car down nicely.

Bones126 likes this.
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    This is what I do too.