Engine & Gearbox Re-engine job - Missing Coil packs

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by conorpmc, Tuesday 22nd Jan, 2013.

1. conorpmc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have located a replacement engine for my 2003 2.4 Type-S (manual) from a 2007 2.4 exec (auto). The seller tells me that the engine is intact apart from the fact that 2 of the 4 coil packs are missing as he sold them to someone else.
    Just want to know if this is a big deal and if anybody had an idea of how much these will be to replace? Also would I be better to replace the other 2 coil packs while I'm at it?
    Also anything else that I should be checking / replacing while I am changing the engine?

Thanks..

2. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Aren't they the same as in your existing engine? Can't you put those in the swap engine?
    You do not have to change the other 2. If they're ok, they're ok.

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    ^^^^^+1 Reuse your own parts. No point in paying for parts you already have. Usually when you buy an engine you get a short block anyway and have to transfer all your own ancillaries over.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yep reuse your existing coil packs.

Check the state of your flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, replace with new if these look like are worn.

Check for noisy pulleys, change over from other engine if better.

Check seals around the engine and gearbox, replace with new where necessary.

Once you got the engine fitted do a valve clearance check (engine needs to be cold).

Have you compression tested your new engine (or even better leakdown test) ? It's worth doing this just incase there are problems, you can then return engine or fix issue before fitting it.

BTW what happened to your original engine ?

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    This happened:
    "The CAM chain on my 2.4 Type-S in gone so I am currently trying to source a replacement engine."

6. conorpmc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the info.Yes the cam chain in stretched, and it took out 2 of the pistons. I have been told that a replacement engine will be cheaper than a repair job. The only engine I can source at the minute if form a 2.4 exec auto. The consensus of opinion seems to be that it shouldn't be a big problem fitting the engine from the auto into my manual type-s as long as it's just the engine block and I change the fly wheel.

Last edited: Thursday 24th Jan, 2013
  7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Did you manage to source a 2.4 engine ? I assume your back up and running by now ?

8. conorpmc Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, been meaning to post an update on here for a while. Back up and running about 2 months now and the car is going great. Got the 2.4 engine from a 2007 accord exec auto that was an insurance write off, just used the fly wheel from my old engine to convert back to manual.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry sale advert removed.. Glad you have had the car sorted.

10. naslam968 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Did you figure out why the chain was streched which caused the damage.

Last edited: Saturday 1st Jun, 2013