Fuel Efficiency Real World MPG for i-CTDi FR-V?

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by s60r, Tuesday 2nd Sep, 2014.

1. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Hi all,

I know this is very subjective as in journey type ,driving style etc etc but what is reasonable to expect with the 2.2 I-CTDI in the FR-V please?

My wife drives it on a daily basis, and does 10 miles each which takes 20 minutes or so each way. I know ideally for a diesel the journey should be longer, but with out a DPF i'm hoping this will be ok.

When we collected the car and drove it home it achieved 46 or so but since this has dropped to 38. Does 38 sound about right for the journey type? If its a bit low I may get the stat replaced.

Thanks.

:Smile:

2. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I drive like a bit of a grandad and getting 49mpg so far on this tank which is shell vpower.
    Better than Tesco usually get about 46 on that. And she runs nicer on the shell diesel and no it's not in my head :Smile:

That is a mix of 50 miles dual carriageway each day (I'm one of those annoying 60mph just-faster-than-a-truck types) and town driving... I know what hypermiling is and I try to be sensible but not a tailgating nutter

3. moob Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Scotland Rob Glasgow
    Very dependant on how you drive and the roads etc, but the FR-V diesel isn't as good at MPG as it's Accord counterpart, despite it being the same engine.

If you take it for a run on a dual carriageway, you will see high 50s. There's no issues with that journey period.

Take a look here for info - Honda FR-V 2004 2.2 i-CTDi - Real MPGs | Honest John

4. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    For me on a motorway run I usually av 45 and around town I can get around 39 and in traffic av 33. when I stick my foot down, well that's a different matter and it can go down into the 20's, all in accordance with the law I assure you!

5. garf8v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hope this helps a bit. When used for shopping trips/collecting delivering kids locally I get about 30/31. On a long run, but not too slow I get about 44/45 although usually with 4/5 people on board.

6. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    Thanks all. Very helpful.

Mine is driven by my wife mostly, she loves it and it seems to have settled around 38/39 for her daily commute. Mid 40's is easily achievable on longer runs even at a good speed. We changed our Ford galaxy for the FR-V and it seems to be very similar on the local stuff, but the FR-V wins and likes the longer trips.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Here's something I have noticed over the past couple of months and the age old is this fuel better than that fuel topic;

My last 3 fill ups have been at
    1, The local Esso station, only normal diesel there.
    2, The Shell station with V Power + diesel
    3, Shell Normal diesel.

Doing the same trip every day of the week to work in the same stop start traffic I got surprisingly the following Av MPG.
    1, Esso - 34-35
    2, Shell V power - 33-34
    3, shell normal - up to at times 38 but Av around 36-37

So appreciating everyone drives differently, my findings are that Shell normal is for me in the 2.2 diesel better for Av MPG, the V Power may be better for the engine but doesn't produce the same as or expected better MPG or the rip your hands off the steering wheel power some claim lol.

There's not a major difference between them all but Shell normal works best for me.

8. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    I have just had an interim service on my FR-V at the local Honda dealership and I don't know what they did, but I got 56 MPG on a 160 mile run up to Gateshead on the A1!!
    Cruise was set at 64, but I don't hesitate to gun it to overtake. The 50 and 40 limits through the roadworks must have helped, as would a tail wind - but I was still chuffed!
    A stiff headwind on the return dropped the average to 54.5, still not bad!
    45 is my usual overall average, unless the wheeled bungalow is attached in which case 27 is nearer the mark.

Nels, DeviateDefiant and Bones126 like this.
  9. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    That's some improvement on MPG, nice one @FR-V I'd be very chuffed with that result as it obviously means a dealership service is worth the money. Food for thought there :Thumbup:

10. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Back to earth with a bump - towed the caravan to Milton Keynes today, foul weather and into a stiff headwind, got 25.6 MPG at 56 on the cruise.:Angry:
    Morrison's diesel though, Esso does better!

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

56 MPG from an I-CDTI is a great result @FR-V. The petrol heads can't match that.:OTT:

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Ohh yes we can ... well I can match the cost equivalent of that anyway :Wink:

13. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think you've found the best of both worlds @SpeedyGee. Roobix and your EU8 must be great fun to own and drive plus, they are so economical as well.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Let my milk float land I will be wiping a few grins off :boxing:

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Hmmm. If you're going to drive a milk float, we'll have to call you Ernie. :Grin:

ernie 3.

Bones126 likes this.
  16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well everyone already started to rag me at work calling my Jazz by the rude name, Quite frankly it make no difference to me as I don't care.
    I need to get fit emblem from the states.:BooYeah:

17. Nels Moderator Staff Team

CJ, you get teased because you'll have a brilliant car in a few weeks time and we're just jealous.
    Besides which, it's a bit of fun. :poke:

18. ennorab Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm getting nowhere near the MPG I would have expected. I'm driving motorway around 40 miles each way and really only averaging around 35-39. Any tips or suggestions how I can improve this? Is it worth putting the additives in the fuel?

19. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    The cold weather will adversely effect the MPG....

tyre pressures are a massive point on motorway journeys also .... the cold weather really plays havoc with them too!! I checked our FR-V today and it showed 27psi!!! With temps below zero at night I would check your pressures! You may be surprised how much they have dropped!

20. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    I only do 60mph I think doing much more than that will start to drink.
    also I noticed that a strong head wind is also a MPG-killer.
    I'm not advocating tail-gating but doing 60 not-too-far-behind a lorry is probably the most economical thing I can think of.