Engine & Gearbox Real World MPG's

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by trailblazzer, Friday 2nd Mar, 2012.

1. trailblazzer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, I'm a prospective owner from Ireland. I love these cars, but I don't know anybody many owners, those I do can't calculate MPGS....

I love everything about the car, and have owned a 94 petrol Civic for years so I know all about the Honda reliability!

My question is, What sort of MPG does the 2.2CDTI version get on average? Particularly on motorway spins?
    I do about 60 miles a month urban and about 1200 on motorways! So MPG is really important to me.

All your answers will be a great help!:Smile:

2. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My daily commute is 50 mile round trip on motorway and i get 45mpg.

Its all about how you drive though

3. davemazo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My in car computer at the moment is showing 53mpg but that was after a recent run to London and back. It usually shows about 43mpg around town. Having said that I use an Android app called Fuel Log which has calculated that between 17/8/11 and 24/2/12 I`m getting an average of just over 40mpg

4. trailblazzer Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

43mpg around towns quite good, most of my miles would be on cruise control on the motorways. If i could get 50-55 I'd be very happy.

5. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bloody hell im only getting 39.3mpg over 300+ miles with a mixture of driving.

TBH about 10 miles each way to and from work won't help though

6. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Motorway driving in my Tourer I can get up 60mpg, but I have to keep my speed sensible if you get my drift. Put it this way if they make the motorway limit 80, it will affect my MPG.

7. dl0205 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    I think 50 MPG on the motorways is quite easily achievable if you keep to 70 mph or below.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To cheer you diesel owners 2.4 Tourer

23mpg city
    31mpg Intercity
    39mpg long motorway runs
    43mpg driving miss daisy

PeteMM likes this.
  9. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

From calculating with actual fuel used and mileage.

Average over 12,000 mile. (Mainly 12 mile trips to work with occassion longer journey) = 44.27mpg

Best tank (about 65% motorway) = 580mile 53litres = 49.75mpg

Worst tank = lots of short trips in cold temps = 37.94mpg

If you're doing 95% motorway i'd expect 55mpg if driving sensible.

My facelift 2.2 is actually better on fuel than the pre-facelift I had. Its about 4 MPG better. My pre-facelft was remapped so it's false that they give you better economy as my journey and style of driving had not changed.

10. dva5230 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm from the US, and wow, when I was reading this it seemed like British engines are A LOT more efficient compared to ours across the pond, since I knew both US and British miles are the same (1760 yards). However, I did an internet search and was glad to discover that a British gallon is 4.5 litres, while an American gallon is only 3.8 litres. *phew*

I get around 30 miles per American gallon with about 75% motorway and 25% urban driving, which converts to:
    30 miles/3.8 litres = 35.5 miles/4.5 litres.

Which is still ~10mpg lower than pretty much everyone above. That's unacceptable if you ask me! :Tongue:
    My Accord runs on a 2.4L 4-cyl in case comparison is needed. I still think European engines are far more efficient though.

Ichiban likes this.
  11. Jon_G Guest

Howdy Partner! Is that the correct way to greet someone from Utah? (apologies if not).

These are diesel-engined cars under discussion. However, post #8 does give an indication of consumption for a UK petrol-engined 2.4L Accord. So your figures maybe don't seem so bad after all?

PS: I always get in the range 41-44MPG from my diesel tourer, however/wherever I drive.

12. dva5230 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ah, diesel engines. That would probably explain the difference. Here in the states diesels are pretty much limited to lorries and Volkswagens. Haha...

And I've never heard that greeting in Utah before... it's more typical of the Southwest USA, especially in Texas. Haha. We're not exactly the wild, wild west we used to be. :Wink: But thanks for the localised greeting! :Smile:

Cheers!
    (I honestly love the UK and want to move there someday after college... that's why I use British spellings and words, like 'lorry' and 'localised'. hahah)

13. terrya175 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys, one point to note - check your tyre pressures! When I picked up my '09 reg 2.2 I-DTEC automatic tourer from Holdcroft I assumed the tyre pressures were correct. After a few days I noticed that no matter how carefully I drove(gentle acceleration/55 to 56 on the motorway) I couldn't get more than 37.6mpg. I checked the tyres and found them down by up to 6psi (33psi is quoted for normal running) I noticed that we can inflate them up to 35psi for high speed running so that's what I have done.
    The result? 44.8mpg !!!
    Conclusion - correct tyre pressures REALLY matter!

Signed

One very happy new Honda owner. The car is a dream and I LOVE it!!

14. maksym Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haha you guys are lucky to have served engines. I got 2.4 accord USA version and get 26mpg on average if I don't use the ac I get 31.5mpg hard to do since I live if Florida :Smile:

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But you chaps have lower petrol prices, I wish the diesel cost remained the same here but we got American petrol prices. :Happy:

16. dva5230 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's a very good point... even though we get fewer MPG's here in the states (accounting for UK/US gallon differences) we also pay less for petrol, so I wonder if the miles per GBP/USD is around the same (again, taking into account differences in value between pounds and dollars). This is quite an interesting investigation...

17. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If that happened I'd sell up tomorrow and buy a V8! :OTT:

Edit: With a supercharger!!

18. Jensen Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alan Brigg
    On my Diesel (6 speed) a 60 mile round trip (58 miles are motorway) I get 56mpg driving real steady, they have a 'sweet spot' just under 2k for maximum MPG, thats just under 70mph. Hammer it, and cruise at 80+ and it'll drop to under 40mpg.
    I used to always have fast cars - last was a 275bhp Saab 9000 aero, went like stink and i loved it. Now I get my kicks from trying to keept that MPG display over 50 !!:Sobbing:

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would have all my Honda FI (Turbo with charge cooling) superchargers are for bolts on wannabes.

20. pitesy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

2.2 I-CDTI here. With sensible driving 56mpg is easily achievable. Fully satisfied with it. :Smile: