Pre-Facelift Model Rear Brake caliper and pads changed but possible problem

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by jimmy1973gb, Sunday 18th Jan, 2015.

1. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland jimmy1973 Ballymena
    I changed my rear brake pads on my Honda Accord I-CTDI, I used copper grease between the pads and the caliper, and put some silicone grease on the piston so that the dust cover seal wouldn't spin around when winding the caliper back in. All seemed to be working fine, but I now suspect that the O/S rear caliper isn't operating. After road testing the front brakes had heat in them and so did the rear N/S disc, however the O/S rear was cool. I think the rear piston maybe stick, because the caliper pins are free and the pads are fitting perfectly, can move the way they should.

Any ideas what I could try to fix this?

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    your thread description says caliper and pads changed? have you replaced the O/S/R caliper or just the rear pads? what did you use to wind the piston back? do you have a good brake pedal? does the handbrake work? jack that side up and apply the handbrake, does it hold? apply the brake whilst trying to turn the O/S/R wheel, does it hold?

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  3. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I only replaced the rear pads. I used a proper tool to wind the caliper in, it turns the piston and applies force to push it in. When I don't the N/S when I pressed the brake pedal to push the pads out the rear disc was stiff until I turned it, but the O/S didn't. I then started the engine and tried again because all the vacum was used doing the N/S, it appeared to do the same as the N/S.

The handbrake could be better, the brakes seem fine driving it, but I just suspect the O/S rear isn't fuctioning because there was no heat in the disc.
    - - - Updated - - -
    I will jack the car up tomorrow night and get someone to operate the foot brake to see if its holding. Will also do the same with the handbrake. If its not operating as I suspect would taking the caliper off and pushing the piston out, applying silicone grease and putting it back in sort it? The sliders are free and the pads are free so the only think I can think off is the piston. I'm pretty sure everything was fine before I changed the pads.

The pads were down to about 40% so I thought I would change them for peace of mind. The N/S gave me problems with the dust boot cover turning when trying to wind it in, but I got around that with the silicone grease, and its working fine. The O/S dust cover didn't stick and the piston wound in ok, but this is the side that I suspect isn't working, is it possible that I wound it in too far? Should I strip it again and see if the piston is coming out by operating the brake pedal?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Rear pistons sticking is quite common on the 7th Gens, both Tourer and Saloons (despite having different calipers). If the O/S disc was cold when the opposing side had warmed up, I think you've nailed your diagnosis. Interestingly enough, my O/S/R started sticking recently too.

I personally would rebuild the calipers both sides, pistons and seals, the car is now 10 years old so it wouldn't harm.

Alternatively, buy some ready refurbished ones from eBay that offer a discount for sending your old calipers back, should work about to about £25 a side :Smile:

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  5. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have just jacked the car up and the handbrake isn't holding on the rear O/S wheel. The foot brake is stopping the wheel if I spin it. I removed the top half of the caliper, pressed the foot brake and the piston is coming out, I wound it back in and put it on the car. The foot brake seems to be working fine, but the handbrake isn't. I adjusted the handbrake the other day from inside the car to 8 clicks, could this be the problem? Should I re-adjust back to 13 clicks ? Any ideas ?

I checked that the cable isn't broken, the handbrake cable is slack at the wheel, when the handbrake is operated it does operate at the caliper, just not enough to bring on the handbrake.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's not something I've dealt with personally, I've never had an issue with the handbrake side of things. @Ichiban or @Beefy should be able to advise further.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  7. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've adjusted cable off inside the car to its original 13 clicks but it made no difference to the O/S, so I adjusted it back to 8 clicks. I realise that its suppose to be adjust off inside the car and then adjusted at eash wheel, unfortunately I'm not sure how to do the adjustment. Thats me for tonight, think I will leave it until Friday, will hopefully be warmer and get some daylight on the seen.

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Have a look at the last few posts in this thread. Basically the hand brake mechanism on the calpers can seize, despite the actual caliper function correctly.

You should have between 6-9 clicks on the handbrake. See this guide for handbrake adjustment for a saloon.

jimmy1973gb likes this.
  9. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've road tested the car and the brakes are definetely working better now, nice sharp brakes now. Checked that all the discs have heat and they do, so all fucntioning correctly. The only think I need to sort now regarding the brakes is the handbrake, its still only holding on one wheel. I will spray WD40 or maybe 3 in 1 oil, not sure which would be best. That is for another night though. I think that the handbrake should be an easy fix, at least hoping it is.

10. jimmy1973gb Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Turned out that the lever going into the caliper had siezed up with the car sitting off the road, was an easy repair. Its now lubricated and working perfectly, hopefully it will stay that way :Smile:

hondream and DeviateDefiant like this.
  11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team