Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Brake Disc Corrosion

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Hf4n, Thursday 28th Aug, 2014.

1. Hf4n Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hf4n
    Hello community members!

I bought a FR-V 2 months ago, from the local honda dealer with one year warranty. This car all the time was serviced in the Honda dealer service.
    I just realized there is some corrosion on the rear brake disc. I use this car 2 months ago, but this corrosion looks same like when I bought the car.
    I asked from the service, and they told me that is not serious problem and that is normal in this model.
    I'm not sure about this, so for this reason I want to ask your opinion.
    Both sides looks same, and I can see that thing just on the rear brake disc.
    My FR-V is 2005, 2.0
    Can you send me your opinion about this problem, because I just want to make sure my car is safe.
    Thanks.
    IMG_20140724_201349.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    When you put new disc and pads the wear will sort it self out, it quite normal for rust to develop in the UK so fast it causes a ridge and pads don't get a proper contact. Looking at the pads you have another 15k miles before they go.

Hf4n and Ben28 like this.
  3. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    The rear brakes only take care of 15 - 20% of the braking effort when you push the pedal. If this were on the front I would want new disks but not so much on the rear. :Smile:

Hf4n likes this.
  4. Hf4n Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hf4n
  5. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    As above really, not a problem for the back. however, as ichiban suggests above, if you do change the discs make sure you have new pads too as the problem will return as the old pads will score the new discs to the shape of the old ones.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, there are brand new BMW's in my works carpark that look the same or worse!

Hf4n likes this.
  6. Hf4n Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hf4n
    Thanks,

The front and the rear brake disc is still the original on my car, but the brake pads already replaced couple of months ago before I bought the car, the car dealer told me that. But I'm not sure they replaced just the front brake pads or the rear as well.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Post a photo showing the front pads, we can tell you how new (or old) they are :Smile:

Hf4n likes this.
  8. Hf4n Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hf4n
    I've taken couple of pictures of the brakes.

Front:
    IMG_20140829_194230. IMG_20140829_194316.

Rear:
    IMG_20140829_194513. IMG_20140829_194524.

(sorry guys if I waste lot of space with the "full image", I don't know if I use the thumbnail option you can open the full image or not)

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Don't worry about space, it's there to be used :Smile: I only tend to use thumbnails when posting a massive DIY or something which contains a ton of images.

I'm not the best to advise on brakes as my experience isn't the best, but given the amount meat on the pads they look very recently changed. The discs are certainly in good shape.

Looking at the rear discs more closely, from the two later images one image makes it look very lipped, the other looks smooth and healthy.

Hf4n likes this.
  10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    There is a little bit of a lip forming on the fronts too but I'd say the discs and pads are all in serviceable state (ie don't need changing) at the moment.

Hf4n likes this.