Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear brake pads for 7th Generation tourer

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Tuesday 30th Aug, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

Can anyone advice which rear brake pads I need? If I put my reg number into euro car parts about 5 different fitments are shown for different brake system manufacturers. How do I tell which one I need please?

At £100+ for Kwikfit job I'm thinking I'll have a go myself.

Thanks

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Replacing brake pads is a fairly straight forward job. However, you really need the right tools to do the job. The main additional item needed is a rewind tool.
    I would also recommend looking through the Guides/DIYs on here so you know what to do before dismantling anything.

As for the pads, get a set from @Holdcroft Honda. They will be exactly the right ones for your tourer, delivered next day FOC and at a very decent price - Well worth a phone call.

hondream likes this.
  3. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. I phoned round and going this afternoon for £77 which is about what I expected. I would have to buy tools to do the job myself so that's reasonable. Kwikfit £100+ was OTT

I used HH before for some transmission fluid, and the service was excellent. Problem with something like this is not being sure that I can do the job on the day I plan for - hence the sudden availability today to get it done. Need parts locally to be able to do that.

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

NP.
    Worth checking out how to do for next time.
    In the long run, getting a few extra tools will save you money overall. Just make sure you keep a regular check on the pads on your car so you can get a set in ready for when you're free to do the job.

mcgowanp and Zebster like this.
  5. hondream Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Simon Walsall
    the thing with quick-fitup is that once they have your car on the ramps, they'll try and bump the price up to £350 with discs, etc.

Use Nels guide to change the brake pads.
    Rear Disc Brake & Pad Replacement

and as already mentioned, get Honda brake pads.

Nels likes this.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I think he's had the job done today @hondream, but good shout posting the guide.
    It will help other members considering this job in the future.

hondream likes this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    hondream likes this.
  8. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had it done this afternoon at ATS euromaster. £77 total. They did a good job, saw the guy wire brushing the area after removing the old pads, and applying grease to certain bits, and torquing the wheel nuts up properly. Will use again.

Interestingly they told me that they got the supplier to send three different types of pads as they didn't know which it would be until they could inspect the car. Would have been a hassle for me to do that as I'd have to have bought them then returned them I guess.

9. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    tbh changing pads on the tourer is very easy, probably the easiest pad change on any car when you know how to do it. But the rear disc brakes on most cars clog up with crud quite quickly, so much so, that quite a few owners regularly remove the pads and clean up the crud once or twice a year.

10. compo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Colin bradford
    If you don't use Honda pads you will be wasting your money . how do I know I did it I got mine from cox

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You can't lecture on wasting money and then say you bought from Cox. There are far cheaper dealers out there if you do your research.

legend-ary likes this.
  12. compo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Colin bradford
    I wasn't lecturing just trying to help , witch ones are cheaper I'll stop wasting my money please share

jimjams and Zebster like this.
  13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Once you reach club member rank or become a club supporter then you can call our partners @Holdcroft Honda and get some amazing discounts and free tracked delivery! ;D

Holdcroft Honda likes this.