Service & Maintenance Rear brake piston corroded.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by foxleys, Wednesday 9th Sep, 2015.

1. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi
    My Accord is in for it's annual service, and I had a call to say one of the rear brake piston (?) is corroded and needs to be replaced, along with a "O" ring.
    My car is very late 2007, with about 47k miles.
    Is this normal, or I am just unlucky?
    Dealer quoted me £210.00 to replace etc.
    I don't remember ever having to do this on any Disk braked car in the past!

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

This can happen to any piston if the brake fluid isn't changed so it has absorbed water or if the rubber seal is damaged. Both will cause the piston to corrode and eventually jam. 7th Generation Accords can also suffer from the parking brake seizing. Preventative maintenance could have avoided this.
    e.g. (Whilst the first guide is for the front brakes, the principle is the same)
    Vital Brakes Maintenance Information
    Front Brakes: Strip, Clean, Lubricate & Paint

Hope that puts a little light onto the situation.

foxleys, Bones126 and Ichiban like this.
  3. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Many thanks for above, the car has been serviced every year from new and last year the brake fluid was replaced, I guess the previous owner did not get the brake fluid replaced at the correct time...........

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Mate I have had two of the 7th Generation Tourer in both 2.0 and 2.4 even if you change the brake fluid every year , clean strip and lube the callipers the pistons will eventually fail and seize.lt is a mater time no matter what you do,

The big problem we have is our 8 months of winter and 4 months of bad weather , the poor pistons are exposed to high humidity and the corrosive nature of brake dust they attach the pistons which leads to pitting.
    If we lived in Spain these calliper will last 13-15 years before they gave up the ghost. :Thumbup:

So you have had 8 years that is the normal time before they go. If you want cars and bike to last in our hostile environment we need to adopt what racing teams do, after 10 hours the entire car is striped cleaned and inspected then the car will last an eternity,

foxleys, Bones126 and jimjams like this.
  5. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    ^ as he says, and yes, it is par for the course with the 7th Generation Tourer, rear brakes on them are a pain, best to read how they work and check them yourself two or three times a year

foxleys likes this.
  6. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    There are aftermarket components and caliper rebuild kits available including piston and seals (Bigg Red, Febest, come to mind). Otherwise there are a couple of places that will exchange your caliper for a rebuilt one that might save you a bit of money. Although not a particularly difficult part to rebuild they are vital, if your thinking to do them yourself please undertake the project if your happy that your ability mechanically is up to it.

foxleys and Ichiban like this.
  7. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    was anyone suggesting that he rebuilds them himself ?

8. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    I was, with the caveat to only undertake the project if one is sure they know what they're doing.
    (That is why I didn't link directly to the kits/parts needed)
    Otherwise purchasing a previously rebuilt caliper from a reputable firm returning the failed one as a core.

Playing with your braking system without the proper knowledge can be hazardous to your and other road users health was the warning/advice I was trying to give. :stretcher:

9. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Hi all, many thanks for your help & info.

My Accord is in the one & only Jersey Honda dealer at the moment, it went in there last Friday (I am not comfortable about servicing oily bits!) for its annual service.

They phoned me A.M. on the 9th Aug, and the part (piston) has not arrived into them as of this point in time, due tomorrow - hopefully!

Going by above, this part should be common and freely available from Honda UK.....................

Not impressed!

If this piston does not arrive tomorrow, I'll start throwing my toys out of my pram!

10. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    They would be ordering the OEM piston not an aftermarket one. If there isn't one in the UK it will have to come from Belgium I believe. Glad its getting sorted for you :Thumbup:. Have a look at the guides for maintaining them or have a mechanic clean and lube them up occasionally, it will help keep them in good order.

foxleys likes this.
  11. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    I forgot to ask, should both sides be replaced at once?
    Or can just one side be replaced.
    Thanks.

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The other one may be okay, and just need a strip down and clean.
    However, when it comes to brakes and tyres, I don't believe in cutting corners, so both would be better,

foxleys likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Personally one side is stuck the other is nearly on it way so if you are planning to do it do both.

foxleys likes this.