Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear brakes binding / which pads?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by mcatchpole77, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just had a problem with my rear brakes binding, stripped them down and found it to be rust on the pad lugs so when the handbrake was released they were still tight on the disc a quick clean up with a file has resolved the problem as the new pads i bought ( pagid ) were wrong. Any idea what the cost of gen ones are for a 2009 tourer 148bhp or best aftermarket ones?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Stick to Honda genuine parts buddy, your experience just shows ( pagid ) the aftermarkret stuff does not work nor fit well.

Speak to Holdcroft Honda tomorrow and get your pads from there at our club discount.

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4. mcatchpole77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Got gen pads from Holdcraft £34 delivered friday, took 20mins to fit yesterday thanks for the advice guys!!

5. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

We're the pagid ones the completely wrong pad? I'm wondering if you'd been supplied tourer/saloon instead. I've used pagid before and found them to be really good quality.

6. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    At fourth annual service of my 09 reg 2.4EXi at 36239 miles 19 months ago the rear pads & discs were replaced as one pad had been binding & worn a pad down. Dealer gave reason for recommending a change of discs is that one on binding side may have been heat effected, so I agreed. The car had passed its MOT immediately before the Service, the fuel consumption was OK & no smell of burning had ever been noticed so probably not necessary to have had the discs changed.

Thursday 3 March after returning home a journey of 15 miles smelt burning when exiting car & found os rear wheel was hot so obviously a pad/s jamming on, This rear brake jamming has re-occurred after 19 months and only another 5000 miles & raises the question were rear brakes serviced & lubricated correctly at fourth service. I intended to have all the brakes serviced at sixth annual service in four months time but will now bring this forward.

If the parts are properly cleaned up can high melting point grease be applied to prevent such a premature re-occurrence of the rear brakes binding?

There was no obvious glowing hot of the os rear disc & journey was short so will not be inclined to have the discs replaced again?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It depends on what type of journeys you are doing I have seen on my 8th Generation a fast wear pads if you do shorter journeys. yes grease play an importance in brake service you have loads of thread on that subject here Tom.

8. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks, I will ask for a particular technician to do the work & speak with him before its done.

I should add that on other forums problems with premature wear of rear pads has bem an isuue with 8th Generation Accord & dealers have advised owners that it was due to an aggressive VSA setting which caused rear pads to wear much faster than the fronts. There was a class action in USA where Honda were replacing rear pads at a special discounted rate. I suspect that wear is probably caused by rust on lugs as posted above although if wear same both sides it could be VSA.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Safety over durability I would take safety so the yanks can sue all day long as they have nothing better to do personally.

10. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    I replaced my rear brake pads at 116000 km. They were worn even at both sides. Over 100.000 km is acceptable. Replaced front same time. They were at approx. 20%.
    I do suspect VSA as main reason for the wear of the rears. I feel it work quite often when cornering hard in combination with the warning light coming up.

11. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Picture of jammed OS Rear Calliper from above, there does not appear to be any scope for pad to free off, is it intended to retract into surrounding housing?

If latter MY Accords do not suffer from this problem can a latter MY set of discs & callipers be used on my 09MY Accord?

Attached Files:

12. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Car in to Honda dealer today to have binding of os rear pads investigated. On the way stopped after 4 miles to check if os rear disc was hot but found it to be stone cold so pads must have freed off when cold.

Dealer reports that new rear calliper required to os rear is brake as Piston stiff for first 1mm to 2 mm when pushed back. Calliper itself costs about £417 so expensive job. Dealer again recommended replacing rear discs in case they have become heat effected, but I have regected this as discs are designed to get hot & they have only done 5k miles of gently use since last replaced. Seems like a bit of a scam replacing the discs. Pads do not need replacing which shows how briefly the binding occurred.

Thus if brakes had been serviced it would not have sorted this problem.

Problems with rear brakes seems to be main mechanical weakness with the Accord so I may have to become familiar with them & do some DIY.

On another site it was recommended that when replacing pads to open bleed nipple when pushing back Piston as this allows brake fluid behind piston which has become acidic to be purged.

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Company in Northern Ireland that sells Remy Automotive Rear Callipers for £151.0p which includes a refundable £30 surcharge if old calliper returned to them. Also on eBay refurbished callipers with 2 year warranty available for about £50.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Before you go and spend any money has the technician checked for bulging rubber hose ? The number of time the rear calliper has been off I think they have been stretched by the technicians.

15. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Tom,
    Some info:
    - The piston of rear calliper of 2.0 petrol is not pushed back, but turned in counter clockwise with a special tool.
    - 'other site': there's no acid that comes into brakes fluid. Leave them. Only water and some dirt (dust) might come in.
    - work shop manual: replace brake fluid every 3 years. This is the main key to avoid problems.
    - there's no mechanical weakness with the rear brakes of Accord. At least no more or less than other models/brands
    - If you want to start working on brakes, please ensure you have full technical knowledge yourself and appropriate tools.

Binding of brakes: most of the time it's caused by not changing brake fluid on time. The water causes corrosion in the whole system, including piston/cylinder.

16. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks for advice I'll ask them to check hoses.

I am annoyed in that vehicle was with dealer at 8:15am & although I was promised a call to update me I did not get one. When I rang at 3:30pm that was when Service Manager gave me the bad news & so did not give me much time to decide what to do.

Thus I intended to ring dealer first thing tomorrow morning & cancel the new calliper, blowed if I am paying £417 plus Vat for a Honda calliper.

The brake fluid is recorded as changed by the Honda dealer I purchased the car from at 3 years & I intend to have it done again soon at 6th annual service.

17. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    There was a class action against Honda in USA regarding 8th Generation Accord rear brakes regularly wearing out within 20k miles due to aggressive EBD settings, poor quality brake pad & disc materials & brakes being too small. Honda settled by replacing discs & pads for a knock down price. Situation exacerbated by all USA Accords being autos which put more work onto the braking system as a whole.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not here in the UK mate , there is no issues if there was we would have had hundred jumping to arms with you. what your car is facing is cowboys-r-us fine tuning their bodging skills. If I were you I would be speak to HUKCS about this dealer as they are quite happy to take the money for their cock ups.

US car and EU cars have different callipers and disc pads.