Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear brakes on tourer

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by robclowes, Sunday 25th Sep, 2016.

1. robclowes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Crewe
    Looks like my rear calipers have seized. Is it an easy fix?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yes, by simply replacing them for refurbished ones! I've never found freeing up seized calipers to be anything other than a short-term fix.

But are you sure it's the calipers that have seized and not the pads?

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The rear callipers have a tendency to seize the pistons after 7-8 years sliders are not that bad but use the wrong grease on them they will seize in 3 months.

can you push the piston back easily .also looked for a bulging on the rubber hose that can act as a one way valve.

4. robclowes Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Crewe
    Not had chance to look as yet. Rears look like they are not working at all. Discs look corroded. Ichiban Is there a way of stripping calipers down and sorting?

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    mate if you have experience of stripping callipers and replacing all the bits correctly I suggest you should do it. if not its a safely item and you need that reassurance they work for your own safety and others too.,

6. Bounder Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Did my rears when I got the car in Feb 15, stripped them down blowtorched them dry. cleaned out all corrosion and dirt in the caliper and the seal grooves.
    Rebuilt with original seals and plenty of red rubber grease behind the seals and on the piston.
    New pads and discs and they have given no trouble apart from the Bosch Pads being very dusty. the discs themselves have worn very well in the last 20k miles with no grooving evident.
    If you are planning on rebuilding them I would advise new seals but as I had none on hand I just inspected mine carefully and refitted them, no leaks.