Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear brakes sticking

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Speedex, Sunday 30th Dec, 2012.

1. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Has anyone had similar experience with sticking brakepads on rear wheels on 2006 Accord Tourer (petrol 2 litre)? Mainly rear near-side wheel.
    I replaced the rear discs about 2 years ago because of bad corrosion, apparently quite common on these cars. Replaced with Honda discs but used non-Honda brake pads. Everything has been fine until last 6 months when pads started to stick intermittently on both rear wheels.
    I've renewed the brake fluid and cleaned the calipers (several times), also checked the clearance on the hand brake shoes (operating within the disc itself)
    Possible causes I can think of:-
    1 Sticking piston seals (pistons moved ok when cleaning calipers, no sign of any damage to dust seals)
    2 Sticking caliper sliding pins ( ditto above)
    3 Faulty equalisation pressure switch (unlikely as sometimes it's one side or the other, not both together)
    4 Blocked flexible hosepipe (unlikely?)
    5 Sticking handbrake cable (unlikely?)
    Vehicle has covered about 58K miles and usually garaged.
    Any suggestions and/or similar experience would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Have you checked the rubber brake pipe if that is stretched or bulging then it will restrict the flow of brake fluid.I have seen this far too often people throwing parts at the corner but not checking the hose pipe. How to check and avoid this situation.

When change pads do not let the caliper dangle with the pipe the only thing supporting it .. this stretches the hose causing it bulge, wrong routing of the hose twisted and turned and not returned back into its original position.. get the car jack up get a helper to pump the brake pedal you feel the pipe with your finger tips to feel if the pipe is pulsating or bulging if is replace it with a genuine parts!

Owners who haven't got a clue on mechanics but insist they can change pads as its held by a few bolts they jump in without a clue and cause more damage, same applies to technician who are not trained or hurrying up.

Wrong grease , bolts not torqued nor tightened in a even manner the list is endless. I have had two 7th Generation with NO issues at all so it is not a manufacturing fault, it the guys who strips messes with it.

3. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
    PeteMM likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda brakes need yearly strip, clean and lube if you don't do it it will come to bite you.Another reason why I change brake fluid every year too .Simples

5. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that suggestion. The hoses are the one thing I haven't looked at - I'll renew the rear hoses and see if that cures it.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Thanks for your reply - I used brake cleaner spray and wire brush. No rust, just road dirt. I'll renew the brake hoses as that's the one thing I haven't thought of.
    Cheers.

6. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'm planning on putting grease on the caliper slide pins and pads once a year so I'll see if that does the trick. I'm hoping it will because CJ/IchibanAccord has been doing that with both his tourers and not had any problems.

7. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I removed N/S caliper - everything clean and moving freely. Pushed piston in and out a few times to make sure it wasn't sticking. Flex. hosepipe shows no sign of damage.
    Road tested and everything OK - EXCEPT O/S rear brake pads now binding!
    Asked independent garage about it - they say it sounds like a fault with the ABS control unit, not that unusual with the Accord, and quoting £1000 + to replace said item!
    Has anyone else heard of ABS control unit failure on these cars? If it's an inherent (and potentially dangerous) fault, why haven't Honda recalled the cars?
    Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Cheers.

8. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

It's a known fault on the diesel but not the petrol.

9. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Sorry to hijack this thread. I've got the same problem on the NSR of my 04 diesel tourer. The caliper slides and piston are free, I've just replaced the hose to be sure and its still sticking. It is hydraulics, if I release the bleed screw the disc spins free immediately. Could this be the ABS pump? if so why only one wheel?
    Thanks.

10. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

What is sticking? Could it be handbrake pads inside drum?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If the caliper itself is not at fault it could be the ABS unit in both cases. This regulates how more pressure to apply to each corner. Failure inside this could lead to the pressure not being released after being exerted. Which could cause the symptoms you are seeing.

12. cozezo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kent
    Definitely not handbrake as the disc spins fine with caliper body removed. It seems there is residual hydraulic pressure holding the pads on. I will try a new caliper as its the next cheapest option

13. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My latest enquiry was made to a Honda(dealer) engineer who reckons the most probable cause is sticking pistons inside the calipers. He says renewal of the pistons and seals would be his first port of call - and he's done quite a few in his time. He said he has never had any problem with brake hoses or ABS control units, whether on petrol or diesel Accords.
    I'm going for that and just ordered new pistons and seals for both sides (rear) from Honda. Not cheap, total £140 odd, but this looks to be the most likely remedy. I'll submit my findings in due course.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Speedex,

Has this engineer even looked at your car ? without looking at a car who an earth can you assume your car has the same issue..not all cars are the same.I for one like to investigate an issue thoroughly before opening your pocket.What if the pistons and seals don't cure it you are back to square one will your Honda engineer refund the money on spent parts ? hell no

Please don't take this as criticism we all can be armchair experts and say try this try that but doing it in actual on the car is the key. Take advise from everyone but please strip and examine ,after all money doest grow on trees.

I hope the seal do cure this issue.

15. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

To be fair Speedex has made the basic checks as per his earlier post, and it's true the pistons can get sticky on the 7th Gens especially if the brakes have not had TLC, quite a few people have had to change their calipers to cure it.

16. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I hear what you're saying, Ichiban, but I've got to start somewhere. My car has clocked up relatively few miles for its age (55K in 8 years) and this could also be a factor in causing the pistons to stick. As you are no doubt aware, Honda spares are hellishly expensive - one new rear caliper set in region of £400, flexible hose about £50, ABS control unit £1000 etc. I know you can get alternative brands for some of the parts - I've been quoted £120 for new rear caliper unit and £26 for the flex. hose but whether you can be certain they will perform safely, especially in an emergency, and would using non-Honda parts affect the insurance ??
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Cheers
    Cheers.

17. G12 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Penryn
    Why don't you replace the hoses with stainless steel braided hoses? Look on Goodridges site and you'll probably find they do a set for the whole car. Much better than standard.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Choosing non OEM parts over OEM parts won't affect your car insurance. As long as your car has a current MOT and is legally road worthy that's all that matters from an insurance point of view.

19. Speedex Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The problem was with the rear caliper pistons, after all. The old pistons were corroded and were very reluctant to come out of the caliper housing (I had to re-attach the calipers to the brake line to pop them out).
    One of the new (Honda) pistons (£40 each) had a gouge cut into the side of it and therefore totally unfit for purpose. The local agent replaced it straightaway but I've sent off a strongly worded complaint to Honda. Obviously no quality control checks were ever made on this component - pretty crucial when it comes to stopping the car, I would have thought!
    Thanks for everybody's input.

20. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Glad it's sorted.