Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Brakes TSB for EBD?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by tomwillie, Saturday 18th Apr, 2015.

1. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Recently rear os pads bound on causing some visible heat damage to the pads. Main Dealer has cleaned & lubricated the contact surfaces to both ns & os brakes & I had an ex Honda Master technician check the work had been carried out properly which has been the case.

Everything moves correctly, pistons on ns push back in with hand pressure whereas those on os required a tool but force required not unusual.

The ex Honda Master technician also noticed that on os the handbrake operated shoes in the drum were lightly locally binding so adjusted them such that now easy to spin hub by hand pressure on wheel studs.

Please note that on 2.4EXi Accords, which have drum brakes operated by the handbrake, a special tool that turns the pistons clockwise to retract them is not required. Also as no pads are operated by the handbrake the callipers are smaller & a lot lighter compared to callipers on Accords with handbrake operated pads.

As a consequence of this I have been carefully checking temperature of discs with fingertips & invariably find that rear discs are noticeably hotter than front discs?

On other forums there have been some complaints of excessive wear to rear pads of 8th Generation Accords & a class action has taken place in USA. The cause of the problem was aggressive Electronic Brake Distribution Software (EBD) which overworked the back brakes & Honda USA issued a software update to overcome this problem as well as upgrading the brake pad material.

Has a TSB ever been issued in UK regarding an EBD software adjustment?

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    ime not aware of any update or issues regarding 8th Generation accord rear brakes in the uk.

3. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks Beefy, maybe rear pads are dragging a bit more than fronts.

Can MOT rolling brake test be used to check if rear brakes are working harder than the fronts?

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    hmmm to a point yes. you will get a reading of the effort from all 4 corners and there balance/drag etc.

5. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Thanks Beefy, I'll arrange a test including on handbrake to check similar resistance at both rear wheels.

6. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My rear dtivers brake also stuck. It was just after a honda service too! I had to pay Honda to change them as I needed it sorted ASAP so they screwed me for about £345. A family members honda Civic also had sticking brakes but was covered under warranty.

7. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    For that price they must have changed discs & pads, I was charged about £250 when at 4th service car passed MOT ok but when serviced afterwards uneven wear was reported on OS rear pads. I have a recent thread about this under "Rear Brakes Binding/ which Pads". You can source APEC discs & reconditioned Honda callipers at significant less cost than new Honda parts.

If not used daily these cars need a rear brake service every year.