Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Caliper Problems

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by jayo99, Monday 30th Sep, 2013.

1. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

So my 6th Generation 1999 coupe suffers from the common problem of sticky rear calipers.
    I found a pair of new calipers on ebay and after giving the seller my chassis number he said his Honda contact verified they would fit my car. I went about fitting the calipers over the weekend but they don't fit :Frown: The mount points on the calipers I bought are wider that the ones on my car and the caliper itself is bigger.
    So I have 2 questions -
    1) Is there a place online I can check my chassis number with the part numbers on these calipers to verify if the should fir or not?
    2) Should replacement calipers fit without any issue or have Honda been known to change the mounting plate (with the sliding pins) as well as the caliper, meaning if you order a new caliper you also need to order a mounting plate (I know probably a long shot, but just checking) ?

Thx
    Jayo

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Have you tried grinding your original ones? I mind my uncle saying it's something he saw all the time at garages where they wouldn't bother spending 5 minutes doing a quick grind to allow the caliper pins to run smoothly (forgive me I can't remember the exact terms of the bits where you grind). Within months the customers would be back for new pads etc because they been stuck on all the time!

Worth a shot!

3. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, the issue isn't the sliding pins. The problem is that the mount point of the new caliper don't line up with my mount points, as the new caliper is slightly bigger.
    I will post some pics later

jayo99

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm talking about your old calipers, can't you just grind them to stop them sticking?

5. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

When I said they are sticking, I meant the pistons within the calipers are sticking, possibly due to a burst seal and dirt getting in there.
    I didnt want to do a rebuilt - done it before on a Toyota and it wasn't a great success, so when I saw these new calipers on ebay I thought they would be my best bet.

So,

1) Is there a place online I can check my chassis number with the part numbers on these calipers to verify if the should fir or not?

Thx
    Jayo

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can use Lings Honda Parts Online to check part numbers, you'll need to register and also to get Honda part numbers you'll need to remove the _pkl from the URL. This will give you the par number of the caliper that is suppose to be on your car.

But easier than that why don't call HH (Holdcroft Honda) and ask them to check the part number for you ?

7. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
  8. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thx AndyB,

I'll give Lings a try :Smile:

Mine are the same as yours, the handbrake is almost non-existent no matter how far you pull up the handle. It's due it yearly test (here in ireland) and the last few times the handbrake performance has gradually been measuring worse.

Thx
    Jayo

9. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Here is an example of my old and new caliper. You might have some joy freeing up the mechanism, I worked on it after I replaced it with a new one. seized_caliper_zpsc56fb281. The gap is obviously an indication that the spring hasn't returned the lever arm back to its normal (off) position. I got it moving again by spraying some penetrating oil and them some silicone spray under the nut that the arm pivots around, basically down around the spindle. I then worked the lever arm with channel locks (something with a wide jaw to to get round the lever and part of the body of the caliper, so basically grab it where the cable hooks on and the bit where the cable cables through,) close it release it, close it release it etc etc and you might find some more oil will get it moving.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can free that up, you can adjust the handbrake tension by accessing the nut under the handbrake console. Apparently you can get to this nut through the rear ash tray. I've not tried it myself, but here are some pics of the console removal and the nut. I'm not sure if this is the same setup on the coupe

tn_IMG_5705.

tn_IMG_5702.

tn_IMG_5701.

tn_IMG_5709.

tn_IMG_5708.

Then lift the rear of the car (in gear, chock the front wheels), spin each rear wheel with no hand brake to judge the movement with no braking friction. Then click the handbrake on 1notch, spin the wheels until there is 'slight drag' by adjusting the nut under the handbrake console, clockwise to tighten.

Hopefully that should sort the problem.

10. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

11. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The Lucas ones are on my car too, it doesn't have that spring/shim/retainer like you can see in your old one. I wonder if the coupe is different from the other 6th gens...or if the Type-R is different again. Did you have a look on Lings?

Maybe you might need to buy the carrier but would you need to be sure the carrier mount holes line up on the knuckle. You don't want to just push the problem from the caliper not fitting the carrier onto the carrier not fitting the knuckle if that makes sense.

12. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey Andy,

So I entered the part numbers on Lings and they came back as Honda Accord Calipers

- 43012-SEA-E01
    - 43013-SEA-E01

I didn't see anywhere I could enter my chassis number to cross reference if these calipers would fit :Frown:

I agree with you regarding purchasing the carrier :Smile: If I could be sure the carriers would solve my problem and provided they weren't too expensive I would gladly but them and have a complete new setup :Smile:

Thx for your help
    Jayo

13. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I found this by searching under vehicle type
    Honda Car

and from there, rear brake
    Honda Car

B__1910.

and using this item 5 part no PFKL590924
    5PFKL590924CALIPER SUB ASSY., R. RR.£353.47(€402.96)($565.55)001
    found this

Part Number Entered:PFKL590924
    Honda Part Designation:Car Part
    Honda Part Number Displayed:43018-S84-A54
    Honda Part Description:CALIPER SUB ASSY., R. RR.
    unionjack. Honda Part UK(£) Price:£353.47
    euflag. Honda Part Euro(€) Price:€402.96
    us_flag. Honda Part US($) Price:$565.55
    Honda Part Availability:Shipment - Three Days
    Quantity required:

14. jayo99 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Andy,

Unfortunately lings doesnt tell me whether it will actually fit my car based on a chassis number. I am reluctant to purchase more parts which may not fit :Frown:

Jayo99

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Sorry man...

I was just aware of the part number not corresponding to the earlier ones you listed (43012-SEA-E01
    - 43013-SEA-E01)....It would appear the coupe is different, and those earlier part number reference to 'other' 6th gens

Honda Part Number Displayed:43018-S84-A54
    B__1910.

Item 12 for example isn't part of my rear caliper, but is visible here on your old one.

28092013245_zpsd572ab06.

Your new caliper looks more like my rear caliper from the saloon, whereas 43018-S84-A54 looks closer diagrammatically to your old one.

16. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    Hi Just browsing, quick note to say I've replaced & repaired allot of calipers on a wide range of Honda's and know what parts are shared on other models e.g 6th Generation Accord shares the same rear calipers with some of the 7th Generation Accord saloons but not all and 8th Generation Accord saloon or tourer share the same fitment calipers as the 7th Generation Accord Tourer with the exception of the parking brake arrangement.
    Anyway back to the USA built 6th Generation Accord Coupes, please note between the 2.0L and 3.0L models, the front an rear calipers are not interchangeable same goes for the UK 6th Generation Accord as you found out already :Aghast: However if you need any assistance with a supply and fitting service drop me a message.

Last edited: Sunday 26th Jan, 2014
    AndyB1976 likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hughzee, you'll find people are pretty competent around here, lots of DIYers !!!

18. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    yeah I know lol I did state supply or fit originally but edited the post and it reads different :Blushing: nothing implied regarding incompetence to members :Blink: