Aftermarket Kit Rear Camera Installed

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by accordsedan, Sunday 26th Feb, 2012.

1. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Installed a rear camera today. I bought the camera from Ebay and it was the car specific type that is supposed to simply replace your existing license plate light. It didn't fit perfectly so I had to cut a bit of the trim garnish that goes around the license plate lights. However, once installed, it all works perfectly and the quality is pretty good, including at night.

IMG_1264. IMG_1265. IMG_1267. IMG_1263.
    kevin82 and cowboy3448 like this.
  2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Great job - well done.
  3. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Looks good and does the job.Well done
  4. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The camera uses led lights to replace the license plate light, so i want to change the nearside light with an led type so it matches... anyone out there know which sort i need??
  5. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

How much did it cost?
  6. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the camera was £14 from Hong Kong. I've seen the same ones from UK sellers for nearly £40.
  7. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mmm think I will have to get myself one, how does it connect to the head unit, are you using xcarlink?
  8. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It doesn't connect directly to the head unit it connects to a socket on the back of the satnav dvd. Here is link on the cable you need, but i was feeling lazy so found someone selling them ready made on ebay. Backup Camera Install - Acura TSX Club : Acura TSX Forum
    I do use xcarlink too, but that connects to the back of the actual head unit/radio.
  9. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How much was the cable, I made a couple and tested them when I made mine I did sell one for £7 but never bothered advertising them anywhere.
  10. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It was £20, quite steep i know, could have made one myself but i thought by the time i bought all the bits etc. i have also seen them for £25 on other honda forums. Im sure the harness from Honda is a lot more though!!
  11. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I think the camera and harness from Honda is circa £200 + fitting. You can make the cables very easily yourself as long as you have a soldering iron for the video jack. The parts will only cost about £5. I can supply part numbers to make them up from if required.
  12. 35mmslr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The install looks good. Thanks for the links for the cable. I bought a camera off ebay about a year ago with the intension of doing this mod but never got round to it. If it's a nice weekend maybe I will give it a try.
  13. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wow the one I sold for £7 was a bargain then! Still got one left somewhere wish I made more now lol
  14. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This will be my next mod once I have finished the led conversion cheers for all the info.
  15. 35mmslr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

dk, what LED mod?
  16. demon-knight Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Have bought a load of LEDs to change all the bulbs out on the car, just waiting for them to arrive then I will do a post about it.
  17. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

when installing the camera.. i am guessing you have to run the camera wire the full length of the car.. is taking the trims an easy job all the way to back of the head unit.. .. i wanna get the cam setup... and is there somthing else that needs to be done to get the cam working when we put the car in reverse... or is there an on/off button for the camera..
    i would like to get the wire harness you made Dave (save me buying a soldering machine)..:Grin:
    Last edited: Tuesday 17th Apr, 2012
  18. accordsedan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The way i ran the cable required no removing of panels. I just ran it from behind the dash, along the back of passenger footwell, then pushed in under and along the plastic trim that runs along the side of the carpet where the carpet joins. I then removed the backseat, which is easy and then to the boot. I suggest doing the same rather than straight downy he centre of the car, as when i tried this first i hot a snag trying to lift up the rear carpet as it is very stiff and moulded.

As long as you have the sat nav system, the cable just plugs into the back of the dvd rom and it will automatically switch to the camera input when u select reverse. You do need a special molex adapter as you cannot plug the video rca straight into the back of the dvd unit. there is some info here Backup Camera Install - Acura TSX Club : Acura TSX Forum
  19. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok.. i need a few things to get started.. well i will give it a go and see how it pans out.. Dave you still got that harness you made..
  20. Nav Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

So you made all that wire harness kit and you had that port to connect in..?? what model is your ride.. mine is an 04.. just wondering if it would have that 7 pin port to plug in..