Service & Maintenance Rear dif fluid change

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by Legendliving, Monday 4th Feb, 2013.

1. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What are we supposed to do here? I'd be grateful for any advice. Acura RLs seem to require this regularly, but in the service schedule for the Legend it only calls for front dif fluid changes so far as I can see?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Rear Differential Fluid Inspection and Replacement for KB1

Hi LL,

on your Legend KB1 you have the Clutch and Hypoid Chambers , transfer case all three require their fluid changing at specified intervals. I would personally half them..:Smile:

According to Honda every 72000 miles or 96 months you have to replace

1) Replace the Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) it needs 2.7 Liters at fluid change

2)Replace the Transfer Case fluid it needs 0.43 Liters at fluid change

Honda ATF-Z1 or higher Honda Part Number 08266 99902HE.

Honda SAE 90 Hypoid Gear Oil
    Honda part Number 08294 99901HE

Every 18000 miles or 24 months you should replace the following

1) Rear differential fluid -houses the Clutches for SH-AWD 2.7 Liters at fluid change

2) Hypoid Chamber 0.73 Liters at fluid change

Both require Honda ATF-Z1 or higher Honda Part Number 08266 99902HE.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  3. Legendliving Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: Rear Differential Fluid Inspection and Replacement for KB1

Thanks so much. That's just what I needed to know. It is strange that it isn't listed in the service book

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem in that case time to post the whole service schedule up.

5. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello all,

First post is rather pouring sand in your differentials, but the info above is out-of-date and I've got a headache.

The Z1 ATF has been upgraded to DW1 and apparently that isn't compatible with SH-AWD diff sets.

The Acurians use DPSF instead (code 08200-9007A) but I cannot find that over here and the Honda DPSF has the code 08293-99902HE instead.

Anyone have a definitive answer, or do I have to import the real McCoy somehow from Acura?

Many thanks,

Nick

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    You could try ringing our club affiliated dealer, Holdcroft Honda. They're great at sourcing international parts, club discount and free postage too :Thumbup: Look on their forum category for more information.

Welcome to the AOC. Good to see another Legend owner onboard :Hey:

7. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, DD.

Might have to do that & see if there's an answer.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Nick and welcome to the club good to see more KB1 owners.:Hey:can I ask who has advised\read DW1 is not compatible? there is a little bit of truth behind that statement however you will need to do two flushes to get the Z1 ATF out prior to the DW1 switch over to chase all the old remain of the older ATF.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Not sure how applicable it is with the Legend but I came across a Landrover forum where someone used GL-5 when it should have been GL-4 spec and it wrecked their diff. Something about corrosion I think? I'm not sure how applicable this is with the Legend but probably best to use exactly the right oil as stated above and not chance it with anything else.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda does do compatibility testing on all fluid they have upgraded so it safe to say they will not have a detrimental effect. As for Landy do they do testing is that fluid their own branding ? Lets face it they are not in the same league of Honda engineering are they ..

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it's something to do with brass being used in some diffs and the higher sulphur content of GL5 attacks it.

12. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Look on Acurazine under RL; later diffs filled with DPSF are marked thus. The only complication is it seems there is a difference between ACURA DPSF (SH-AWD) and HONDA DPSF (aka DPSF II) used in Crosstours and CR-Vs...there is DPSF over here for CR-Vs but the Leg End isn't exactly catered for. Or at least it's unclear.

You can only ever change a couple of litres of ATF in the tranny at a time, so it will take a lot of changes to get a majority of DW over Z in there, so they are made compatible.

Here's a chart:

dpfs2.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is pretty much black in white however who do you trust an american source for american spec Legends or Honda UK for UK spec cars.?

Honda UK have not released any statement to suggest DW1 is not compatible or gone to lengths to advise customer not to use it in which cars. I really don't know if the US spec Legend uses a different vendor for the drivetrain or the spec of fluid is different.:Unknown:

I would suggest you to get in touch with Honda UK Contact Us | Honda (UK) I would ask the question. Please let us know.

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Did my rear diff oil change today on the Mazda and Holy Moly it was like the black death coming out! lol Very thick and I suspect the drain plug is magnetic or something as it had extra thickness of oil attached to it. Not sure what access is like on the Legend but as you can barely get the bottle above horizontal on mine when filling I ended up buying two litres to fill one litre as I could only squeeze about half of it out of the bottle as it's thick stuff!

Before I did the change I could feel a very subtle jolt as the car engaged the AWD system but now you can't feel anything and it's all silky smooth. Never ceases to amaze me how important oils are! Reminds me of that Wheelers Dealers where they picked up that Porsche with a knackered auto gear box and it turned out all it needed was an oil change! lol

Did an oil change also, it good knowing for sure that you've got top notch sweet amber nectar in there. Been working on the Accord also today putting the original gear knob back on. :Smile:

15. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

The legend diff oil change is really easy it can be done on a flat surface without even using stands or jacks. The only tool you need is a 3/8 drive ratchet as this fits the filler and drain plugs and possibly a uj and a small extension bar. Admittedly it is a bit tight and is easier if its up in the air though, bought new washers from lings Honda they where only a couple of quid for all of them. A little tip I have learned over the years when changing diff or transmission fluid is too always undo the filler plug first as you really are f****d if you can't get the oil back in again!.

Here's another thing to consider

Does this mean its not compatible in the leggy gearbox then? as this uses atfz1 as well. I was going to buy a litre just so I can top up the gearbox a little, flushing the gearbox 3 times would cost a few quid wouldn't it.

Matt

16. Blues Legend Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good idea - I've raised a query with them, and am holding my breath.

Obviously, I have far more faith in Acura than in HUK. Partly because of the guns and product liability laws, but mostly because they've sold tens on thousands of SH-AWD diffs (in three flavours) as opposed to selling tens over here.

Apart from being a brilliant, brilliantly daft car that thinks its a GT86 due to its SH-AWD, one of the Leg End's attractions is its exclusivity.

Since all RLegendos come from Sayama and the modern diffs are marked 'DPSF' I think we can be categorical about what's in there at the factory. We never got the (ugly) facelift car over here though.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you can get hold of the Technical department they will come back to you. Of course you don't have dealings with HUK tech department but they are expectational but hide behind curtains as they are not customer focus based. So give them a chance they are not that bad... and may be your perception can be changed.

They have three version of the diff as they are different hand drives of cars and regional specs even the SH_AWD are have different ECU and parameters .. So I won't just assume that cars assembled in the same factory are using the same diff and specs. Even all our Accord\TSX are different despite the same body shell.