Engine & Gearbox Rear diff filler/drain bolts

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by matt park, Monday 20th Jun, 2016.

1. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    I''m going to do the oil and rear diff fluid changes on my Mrs' CR-V. Do you think i need to get two new diff drain bolts? I've got the 8mm square driver for them but i'm slightly concerned that they may start to round off. The new bolts are about £13 each (!!!!!!!) so if i don't need em i won't get em but i don't want to be halfway through the job and wish i had them.

2. old grizzly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom RUSS HELSTON
    They can be pretty dam tight mine were. Had a breaker bar on lower one and very nervous, cursing the guy who did the last change. Main thing change the crush washer seals and if worried buy one plug keep receipt and return if not used. Whats the chances busting both. After my first change i re used seal washers by reverse fit they are quite thick [like me sometimes]. Do once get new ones next time.

3. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Cheers Russ, sound advice. I've got the washers, and i think i'll get one bolt just to be on the safe side

4. Green teapot Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andrew Banbury
    And always undo the filler plug first.(you wouldn't want that one to be siezed/rounded after you've just let all the oil out...)

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Mine were tight, very tight but with the correct driver it would be hard to round. Was worried about shearing but after getting them off they are pretty solid so I wouldn't worry about that either.

I used Halfords freeze spray which I found helped a little bit.

Green teapot likes this.
  6. matt park Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

matt North London
    Ok. Well i bought the bolts in the end, just to be safe. Sunday morning i shall get the others off. Thanks for your advice chaps