General Rear diff service interval

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Patc50, Wednesday 5th Oct, 2016.

1. Patc50 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pat Nantwich
    I'm a bit confused about the service interval for the rear differential for my Gen 3 2009 CR-V. I have read that the fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles but I've downloaded the excellent forum DIY guide on the topic which says service at 75,000 miles or 8 years. My car has done 87,000 miles but documents that came with it confirm that a Honda garage changed the diff fluid at 37,000 miles. Should I change the fluid now?

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. Patc50 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Pat Nantwich
    Thank you for the very useful info - appreciated. It seems that the diff fluid on my car was changed 'early' (37,000 miles) so I'm not unduly worried that it's gone past the 75,000 miles service interval. However, for peace of mind and because it will do no harm, I will change it again in the next month or so.
    Thanks again.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd do the same if I were in your shoes too.

5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    On my CR-V 4th Generation handbook the first rear differential fluid change is 20,000km for flush purposes, i.e. to clean the differential from metal impurities which might have been produced/formed during manufacturing.