Guides Rear Differential Fluid Inspection and Replacement

CR-V 07-10[RE-6] (N22A2) i-CTDi

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ichiban submitted a new resource:

Rear Differential Fluid Inspection and Replacement - CR-V 07-10[RE-6] (N22A2) I-CTDI

Read more about this resource...

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Cheers for the guide. Looks like I'll be getting my hands dirty again...

Ichiban likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I tried to change the rear diff fluid tonight but couldn't get the filler bolt off, thank God I always check that first before draining!!!

These bolts have never been off, I can tell from the surface rust and my 3/8 drive was starting to slip so I decided not to risk it. The extension I've got coming will be too long so when it's in for alignment on Saturday I'll get them to do it and also give them the new tool to help them do the gear box oil. For the sake of £50 it will save me a lot of hassle.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Been looking into this a bit more and the 3/8 drive was a little bit too small for the square drive bolt and was allowing wiggle movement. Seeing as 3/8 is 9.5mm I am guessing the square is 10mm in diameter. I'm thinking a 3/8 drive square drain plug bit socket in 10mm is the way to go such as this one: 3/8" Drive Square Drain Plug Bit Socket - 10mm (D.105-10)

Seems to be mainly a USA type thing but I've found a set here:

But even better a set with Screwfix so I can pop in and get them: Laser Drain Plug Key Set 14 Pieces | Servicing Tools | Screwfix.com and it should also be a good backup for the MTF change also :Smile:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Screwfix one a looks a good set, I got a similar Laser one to that.

6. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cyprus Panos Paliometocho
    Nice guide. I have a question.
    When and why do we have to do air bleeding?? Is there a guide how this is done? Thanks

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Air bleeding?

8. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yes. Is there a air bleeding procedure??? or does the valve take care of this. I can include the service bulletin which refers to air bleeding procedure. It says
    Select
    REAL TIME AWD SYSTEM, ADJUSTMENT, and AIR BLEEDING. NOTE:

See the HDS Help menu for specific instructions.

This is the service bulletin when you change the solenoid and the air bleeding is done after you fill the rear differential with fluid.

(4th Generation at least there is air bleeding) I am sorry if this does not apply on the 3rd Generation.

Last edited: Wednesday 1st Jul, 2015
  9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Ime sure this thread refers to the old style rear diff. Yes the new e-diff has an air bleed procedure that req operation via the HDS

10. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I have asked again on the proper SB DPS Warning Light On the i-MID where the air bleeding is mentioned. Cheers.

11. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    A further point is in filling use a plastic pipe and funnel. Feed the pipe through the rear wheel spokes and have a helper slowly fill to slight overflow point using the funnel.

12. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Cheers I am thinking of purchasing a pump type from ebay. The problem I have is that it was serviced from Honda recently (DPSF fluid replaced at 30,000km), but it seems that the rear differentials are very dirty (oily dirty) I am worried that the filling plug was not tighten properly. Also Honda did not charge me for washers so another worrying point. Cheers

13. roelfarm Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Cheltenham
    When you take off the plugs make sure you take off the old plug washer and replace with new, the old washer may look like part of the plug. Just prise it off with a screwdriver.

14. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks. I will purchase the fill washer tomorrow at honda garage and ask the service manager to arrange to check the fill plug. I could not find a 47Nm adjustable torque tool. Mine is up to 30Nm. So I cannot proceed with the check by my self.

15. riki195 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom riki glasgow
    Sealey tp6804 hand oil fill pump various places under £ 20.00 to put oil in plus drain plug sets and the oil as a DIY project is a lot cheaper than £272.40 quoted by Glasgow Honda dealer. Bonus we have new tools to play with, just a thought.

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    what oil do you plan to use, just any oil or the Honda genuine oil?

17. riki195 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom riki glasgow
    After everything I've read a seen about CR-V will be using Honda oils. Im also going to check there service plan to see if its Honda uk or there own got a quote of £16.55 per month for a 40 month 4 service plan and offcourse what oil they use 0 30w or a another will post there reply.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Sorry 4 year service plan.