Electrical & Lights Rear fog light

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by aveton gifford, Saturday 18th Apr, 2015.

1. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Aveton cornwall
    Well, after what was a good day, the rear fog light has stopped working on the car, I have checked the bulb, the 2 fuses and taken the switch apart and checked it but still nothing. If I bridge the rear of the fog light with a live from the battery the it lights up, so there is no problem with the wires from the switch to the light unit.

Anybody able to shed some light on the cause of the problem? every other light works on the car!!

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    where are you bridging it?

3. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

A bit naughty I know, but at the back of the switch, using the live from the dashboard light circuit!

I just don't understand why it's suddenly stopped working!! It's not connected to the alarm siren in any way is it? that's all I have removed today, mind you saying that I have also fitted new number plates, maybe they caused it to stop working!:Grin:

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its on the dash isn't it, not the stalk. have you got a feed into the switch? the path from the switch should be ok as you gave it a 12v feed and the fog lamp worked.

5. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, it's a switch by the headlight adjuster

I have checked the plug with my meter and there is power getting to it, and I have had the switch apart but can't see anything amiss, there isn't much to go wrong in it really.

If I bridge the wire coming into the plug that has 12v onto the wire going to the fog light unit it doesn't light up, only if I use the 12v coming from the dashboard light wire, which also seems strange.

6. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I wonder if it's something to do with the passenger side Multiplex??

7. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Turns out it actually stopped working a couple of weeks ago, the wife just didn't tell me! @Beefy have you any other ideas please, is it likely to be the multiplex?

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    without looking at the wire diagram ime a bit lost realy.
    - - - Updated - - -
    the fog lamp is powered by the passenger multiplex unit. the fog lamp switch is a switched earth for the multiplex. out of the switch is also a path to earth for the fog lamp switch bulb a red/blue wire. in theory giving this a feed will back feed to the fog lamp bulb as it is part of the circuit after the multiplex to the bulb.

9. aveton gifford Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks @Beefy, when you say give it a feed, I take it you mean a live feed and not an earth?