Body, Paint & Styling Rear footwell full of water????

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Rairb1, Thursday 3rd Jan, 2013.

1. Rairb1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any help suggestions would be much appreciated. The story so far. The rear footwell behind the driver is completely soaking. The carpet which rises up to the rear seat and the door sills is dry, carpet in the back (estate) is bone dry and the carpet in the passenger side front and back is dry. With the amount of rain we've had the front drivers footwell is now wet to. Things I've checked so far. Sunroof all drainage holes are clean and free of any debri, removed the rear door card and membrane is perfect, no rips tears or any part unstuck. All drainage holes in front and rear door are free of any crud and debri, I've even blown them through with a BA cyclinder. All door seals are in excellent order. There are no visible signs of any water damage anywhere in the car ie, headlining, doors swirling with water in them nothing. I even put some blue coloured kitchen wipe over all the door seals and trapped them in with the doors closed, after days of more rain, kitchen wipe bone dry, carpets soaking.
    Had a look at removing the rear seat to possibly get the carpet up but it's on the hydraulic lifters and to be honest the thought of removing the seats and carpet fills me with horror. Need the car daily so it's not ideal. Any thoughts?
    Car has done 130000 miles.

Scott.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What's changed on your car prior to this happening?

3. Rairb1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nothing at all, no minor bumps, no major works done to car. Can't think of anything at all that could be the cause of this leak. Really puzzled.

4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Kind of sounds like its coming in from underneath.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You may want to get the car on a ramp and check all the rubber bungs on the floor plans are intact and no cracks or rust holes.

6. Rairb1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've had the car over the pit in the station and everything's intact, all grommets and bungs seem to be in place, again no obvious signs of anything out of the ordinary. The car has been sitting for a good few days over the christmas period when we had 3 days of non stop rain, this is when it seemed to be worse and this is when I noticed it had started to soak the front drivers footwell too. Don't think it's coming from underneath.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    can you spray talcum powder around the entire door shuts and review the situation if the talcum power comes into the water you know the trigger and may be your door seals are damaged.

Are the rubber grommets stay they winding in and wind out on the door?

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Get a hose pipe and let the water run over the windscreen, see if the water enters the drivers foot well.

If it doesn't move the hose pipe over the A pillar and repeat the test ... etc etc

9. Rairb1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just heading out for my night shift, will look and try all suggestions tomorrow if I have time failing that it'll be a weekend thing. Thanks for all suggestions much appreciated.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    NP anytime bud but please if you can take pictures too if possible as they say a picture is worth a thousand words:Wink:

11. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Just a thought

I had this in my rear drivers side footwell

It was door membrane on Drivers door (front) Easy fix.

Good luck..

SayamaAccord likes this.
  12. Rairb1 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just an update on the leak. Ichibanaccord you had asked if anything had changed on the car and I said no, well about 10 months ago I had to get the bonnet release cable renewed as it broke of the catch and then it was getting stretched as I was using pliers to pull the cable to release the bonnet. Something that I completely forgot about until Sunday morning while a friend and I were removing bits of dashboard and door trim. The carpet was dry up and behind the clutch and brake pedal but was wet at the corner behind the accelerator pedal, more dashboard trim was removed and then the fuse box had to be unscrewed and moved to the side. Once the soundproofing/wadding was pulled away it was more than obvious where the problem was. When the new cable had been fitted, the rubber grommet hadn't been put in and was then found running freely along the release cable under the bonnet adjacent to the inner wing. So with the plastic liner under the wheelarch removed the rubber grommet was chased along the cable to where the hole was and now sits snugly where it should have been all along. The original cable wasn't replaced by a Honda dealership, it was a backstreet garage that I've been using for years and have been pleased by the work they have done for me in the past, when I booked the car in to get the cable repaired, there was a bit of a conversation saying how much of a @£&@ these jobs are. So I'll get a bit of mileage out of this one in the slagging stakes. Once everything was put back together we used an industrial vax type Hoover and took out about 1-2 litres of filthy water. It's been raining pretty much all day here in Glasgow, really heavy at times and no leakage anywhere, job done. One very happy chappy. Thanks again to all whom offered advice and help.
    Scott.

Primarycare and AccordCU2 like this.
  13. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Rairb1

Spot on and well done, sorted and good little explanation which could well help others in the future..

Nice one with a happy outcome :Thumbup:Great