Electrical & Lights Rear N/S wheel speed sensor.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Biffo, Wednesday 17th Dec, 2014.

1. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Ok folks, I have the 3 amegos' coming on intermittently, the code reader says that it's the R/N/S wheel speed sensor. As the problem is only intermittent, I'm thinking it may be just a dodgy connection, I've had a look behind the N/S boot panel but don't see where the connection might be, can someone please explain where to find it? Thanks.

2. mikesaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Biffo,

I had exactly the same issue with the 3 lights would be on/off intermittently, until eventually they stayed on permanently. I had the code read, leading to drivers side rear. I believe if the code reader is saying its the wheel sensor, then the sensor may be on its way out. It could be only a matter of time before the lights stay on permanently. The connection for the sensor is on the inside of the wheel arch I believe, worth a look for piece of mind.

Others on the forum with more knowledge will probably be able to give you more insight.

3. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Cheers for that, i've found it, so I've decided to fit a new one anyway, for piece of mind.

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Good luck getting the old speed sensor out, hope it doesnt break off on you.

5. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Well it did break off, so started with the drilling out, I used a small drill first to get it something like central, then a 8.5mm drill (slightly undersized) but I was concious of not wanting to drill the actual casting, so stopped short on depth, then realised that the hub is only held on with 4 bolts. Next job, remove the brakes, caliper & caliper mounting (dead easy) remove the disc, and undo the 4 bolts and lift out the hub unit complete.. Now you can see the end of the speed sensor, I just tapped the sensor back out of the housing. Assembled hub & brakes back together, fit the new sensor, job's a good 'un.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Nice one !

So you didn't take any pictures of any of this work :Aghast:

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    as a point of reference, its always best practice to remove the hub. drilling from the top will only push the swarf into the very small gap around the bearing. this swarf will damage the new sensor as the hub spins, not to menchon the chance of drilling into the reluctor ring on the bearing as you drill. the same goes for front wheel speed sensors in that it is best to remove the CV joint.

Ichiban likes this.
  8. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 20th Dec, 2014
  9. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Excellent work @Biffo - I made your thread into a proper guide for you so other members can find it easily if they need to. :Grin:

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just to add the wheel sensor bolt holding the sensor should be torqued down if it's too tight water will enter the bearing causing it to rust and eventually fail.