Electrical & Lights Rear Parking Sensor Fault

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by John Dickson, Thursday 13th Dec, 2012.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem which has just occurred recently - about the same time as my warranty ran out!

About three weeks ago, when I was reverse parallel parking into a space the rear parking sensor system beeped rapidly regardless of how far away I was from objects to the rear of the car. The next day this issue had gone and did not come back again until this Tuesday when it started doing exactly the same; regardless of how far ther car is away from any objects to the rear of the car, the parking system beeps rapidly. The info display on the dash indicates that the non-existent object is to the rear of the car and directly behind. The front parking sensors work fine. Wednesday the issue had gone again. Today, it's back again. I have tried switching the parking sensors off and on again, then off and switch the ingition completely off and back on and switch the sensors on again but this doesn't seem to help; it'll just stop when it wants and then start again when it feels like it. I've cleaned the surface of the sensors there tonight, but haven't had chance to test it but will later. The system uses ultrasound (I think? correct me if I'm wrong) so not sure if dirt/salt spray on the sensors will effect their operation. I think it also seems to start when it's dark but that may be coincidental.

It's not really a major issue as still have the rear view camera but it does make you wonder sometimes if you've not seen something which can be distracting when reversing, particularly in areas of busy traffic.

Cheers!:Thumbup:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It needs a parking sensor ECU reset my friend that will cure it ..its not uncommon but it can happen.

You can take it to the dealers and they can do it in 20 minutes I had this issue especially in the wet I did a reset and presto works like a treat.

3. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Is this a dealer only or can it be done by our selves using a obd thingy?

4. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Cheers CJ :Thumbup:

Strangely it's all working fine there again tonight but it's definitely there so will prob be back by the weekend if not tomorrow. I'll give them a shout see when they can book it in.

Thanks again!
    - - - Updated - - -
    A trip to the dealer may also give me a chance to voice some more pro-Accord opinion as well!

When they try to give me the pro-Swindon :Rolf: /anti-Japan sales patter I like to throw the pro-Accord and pro-Japan Honda :Hooray:opinion in there!

5. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    Guys
    Would anyone know if the same applies to the 7th Generation?
    Today when I put her in reverse I get one beep as normal then solid and very annoying beep.. Only started today.

Last edited: Friday 14th Dec, 2012
  6. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge
    My rear dead center parking sensor sometimes alarms when nothing is there. It happens during wet weather, but not enough to go to the dealers and show them so I can have it fixed under warranty. It always seems to cure itself before I get to the Honda dealers...

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Sounds the same as mine. I've had no recurrence of this for 4 days now but it does that. Might get a few weeks even before it happens again. Then it'll do it for a couple of days and then clear up again. It's so erratic I'm not even sure if mine is weather related at all but I'll ask my dealer to reset the ECU first and monitor it after that.

8. Oilburner26 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Surrey
    I think its weather related ie, damp and wet, its the front center sensors on mine I've noticed its always the same type of weather and also in my case if the car has been standing idle for a few weeks, but after a run it corrects itself particularly if its 30 mile plus trip, which seems to point damp contacts /joints drying out with the air or heat of the engine, its not really bothered me because the problem always corrects itself, its just annoying at the time.

9. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Skips

Ouch, not good!

Hope he manages to sort it out. Any damage to the bodywork or just the rear screen is it?

10. Ray Ambrose Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ray Cambridge

Just rear screen demolished...Wonder how much that costs? Only good news is bodywork is undamaged...

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

Sorry to hear that. Its amazing how a small amount of damage can end up costing a hell of a lot to fix.

Should never rely on technology too much, human judgement should always prevail.

12. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

13. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well this issue seems to have cleared up again for now. Had a week go by with no occurrence of this problem. Today's heavy rain not caused the problem as yet but this is a good test for the possible effects of moisture also attributing to this. Definitely going to try an ECU reset but waiting til it occurs again as they may think it's just me if i turn up to the dealers and it's working fine.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is a lot of damage :Aghast: sorry to hear about this.

15. GaryL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Gary London
    Hi,

I need to asks a question re my Honda and warning lights I have on it for the front and rear factory fitted sensors, Honda Type-S, 2012...

How do I do this... I could not see an easy way of posting a question

16. GaryL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Gary London
    HI, I have a problem with my Honda accord Type-S... The car symbol for the rear and front factory fitted parking sensors is on (orange( and all the sensors are lit up.. any ideas please.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi Gary, I don't know much about these reverse sensors, hopefully one of the 8th Generation guys will be along soon to advise you.

GaryL likes this.
  18. GaryL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Gary London
    Thanks SpeedyGee for the response and I look forward to a 8th Generation guy... image attached as well of the error.

Attached Files:

19. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

At a guess, that looks like the main parking sensor box is fcuked. Apparently it can be reset but I'm not sure how. Try disconnecting battery for 30 mins. If that doesn't work try looking at a breakers on ebay for a new control box.

GaryL likes this.
  20. GaryL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England Gary London
    Thanks for the feedback Jason... does anyone out there know how to reset the parking sensor box or what fuse it is connected to as a factory fit.