Suspension, Steering and Brakes Rear Sticking caliper

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Peterbfd, Thursday 13th Aug, 2015.

1. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Peter Bradford
    Hi All,

Sorry if there is another thread covering this but I cannot locate it.

I have heard people talking about the passenger rear caliper sticking and mine was doing the same(not all the time)
    Getting very hot, smelling and making the disc black.
    The pad is now also about half the size of the drivers side

This happens now and again but today the drivers side has now also started to do it (not all the time)

I have been quoted £221 per caliper from one garage and £150 per caliper from another garage.

I have taken the car into two garages now and they just look at me blank and say they cannot found anything wrong with it.

I need advise as I don't want to buy new items if I do not need them.
    Is this problem definitely the calipers or could it be something else (i.e. handbrake part ?)

Any advise would be great.

I also have the airbag light still on and have had it diagnosed 3 times now and each time the garage have refused to fix it or state they cannot fix it.
    The last garage said the impact sensor is fine and that it is an electrical problem that they are not allowed to fix.

This is now been about 7 months now with the light on and the car is due it's MOT next month.

The car is a 08 and I have a book full of service stamps and it has been looked after very well but these problems as well as others I have fixed are getting me down.
    I love the accord and the 7th Generation I had was faultless but the 8th Generation is the worst car I have ever owned as far as issues (but I still love the look of the car and want to keep it)

Yes, I could just go to a Honda dealer and get all these sorted but I am not made of money and this would cost a small fortune.

With Thanks
    Peter

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Peter I am in Leeds why don't you nip by next week I wil have a look at these issue for you for nowt. As for the callipers taken them off the car call biggred and send them to then for a full overhaul and paint job I think they can do it for £150.00 ring them tomorrow and get a price.

Zebster likes this.
  3. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you CJ for the reply, I very well may take you up on that offer.

I am thinking of taking the front bumper off at the weekend (weather permitting) just to have a look for the Impact Sensor just to see if there is anything obvious (i.e. loose connection etc)
    I don't want to play too much with it being airbag sensor and all, I will disconnect the battery for a while before I start as this may be wise.

I cannot really be without the car regarding the calipers so that option may not be for me.
    So the option of new calipers is most likely the only option I have as the calipers are most likely to blame (or at least I hope they are if I change them)

Peter

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Peter call Bigg Red and see if they have refurbished callipers in stock you buy them from them and return the old ones to them and they do the difference.

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Andrew Pages? Euro car parts? Ring round all the local motor factors for a price on a reconditioned caliper as well as big red.

tomwillie likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Out of curiosity Peter, how often had the brake fluid been changed in our car ?

7. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bigg Red & Europarts, thanks all.
    I miss understood the process CJ, Thanks

SpeedyGee, yes the Brake Fluid has not been changed since I have had the car (about 2 years), this was going to be changed as well as the Anitifreeze on the next MOT/Service in September.
    Do you think this could be the reason ? Would I be worth waiting till them ?

What does everybody else think.

Thanks
    Peter

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

9. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    I was quoted over £400 + Vat by Honda main dealer for one new Honda rear calliper. As OS rear has stuck a couple of times my 2.4EXi is having OSR calliper replaced next week with a refurbished Honda calliper part at £158.49 + Vat. All brakes will also be serviced & rear pads replaced by an ex master Honda technician I know for total of £386.50p Inc Vat.

10. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had a try in sorting the Airbag problem out today.
    Took front bumper off and tried to look for the front impact sensors (even though I have no idea what they look like).

I found two yellow wires going to small boxes near the front of the car (1 on each side which I assumed were the sensors).
    Checked the wiring and all seems OK, so problem not solved.

As mentioned previously, the last garage said the sensors are OK and it is the wiring but do I believe them ?
    I either buy a impact sensor and replace to see if it sorts the problem or I visit an auto electrician before the MOT as no garage can fix it as yet.

Pic of driver side sensor ?
    20150815_152336.
    Pic of passenger side sensor ?
    20150815_152327.
    Label on the passenger side sensor.
    20150815_154751.

11. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Honest John recommends airbagman.co.uk as being usually more cost effective than main dealers in rectifying airbag problems.

12. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Looks a good company but they are in the south and I am up north.

13. tomwillie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Tom Royston
    They have a contact GDI Services in Manchester which is up North.

14. micko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark micko copenhagen
    i just had my caliper fix. honda wanted 510 pund. thats to much for a lumb of iron.

i bougth i gasket kit for 6 pund and tried to take it apart my self. its very easy and the hard part is to clean the slots where the gasket rings sits. mine was full of rust and the piston did not want to move. after a good clean and 2 new gaskets with red rubber grease the piston goes smoth again.

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Annual servicing of the calipers will keep them in good working order so you won't have this problem again.

Have you seen this guide?
    Front Brakes: Strip, Clean, Lubricate & Paint

Although it is for a 7th Generation tourer, the principle is the same.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Also ... how often has the brake fluid been changed on this car ? Brake fluid absorbs water and this leads to rust on the calipers and eventually they seize.

17. Peterbfd Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Good advise and a good write up but sadly don't the tools and don't feel confident enough to do this.
    The calipers seem OK at the moment so it will have to be a job when I have enough spare money as I need new pads and discs as well.

Both calipers have done this now, so I may have to change both sides.

18. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fair enough. We won't push people into jobs they are not able to do, especially the brakes. At least you have the information from here and are aware of what needs doing now.

19. micko Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Denmark micko copenhagen
    I will do my rear right soon then I will make a little diy.

Nels likes this.
  20. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Thank you Micko. A DIY would be helpful to other members. :salute: