ICE & HFT Rear sub

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by charlespayne, Wednesday 15th Oct, 2014.

1. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Hi anyone know the Ohms of the 9" rear sub in the exec, As im thinking of replacing with a 500W RMS 9" JL audio sub, But it is 3 Ohms, and i know to keep useing the bose system, you have to use the same Ohms speakers. speaker is actulyl 8" but somes with a bracket for 9" slot.

add0830a9f09672ca8391bcddd2e4820.

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I'm not sure on the ohmage but driving a high-end sub with the stock system would probably sound worse than driving the stock sub with a high-end system. Speakers are only as good as the amplifier driving them.

3. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Pritty much want to upgrade all the system, but keep useing the original speaker slots, and not have a box in the boot.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I follow man, hopefully one of the 6th Generation owners can find out the ohmage :Smile:

5. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    i was brought up by a farther who was a pro in sound quality, and if the sound isnt right you can tell and it pritty much ruins the sound, and the bose sound system sounds really flat, and the sub don't really give much for bass.

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm a bit of an audiophile myself, run studio monitors for my desktop dailies and have a couple of high-end cans. The Premium Audio system in the Facelift 7th Generation is actually really good, quite neutral though the highs are exaggerated a bit. The only sound system I've heard for long periods in the 6th Generation is the Type-R, I can remember it having quite muddy mids.

7. charlespayne Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

charles
    Problem with the 6th Generation, it has no tweeters, and the sub is useing the whole boot as a box, and since the bose sub just isnt powerful enough, it is like sticking a 8" sub on a box designed for a 1500 watt rms 12" sub.

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'm interested to see what you come up with for the audio overhaul, @Chunkylover53 did some speaker upgrades not long back.

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very true - for the speakers feel free to look at my DIY - as for the infinity's themselves, I am very happy with them. That said it does depend on your music genre preferences so best thing would be sample all available speakers at a local dealer.

Re the sub - I just bought an active sub which works perfectly with the speakers but like you said there's quite a bit of space taken up. Now if you look at Harvey's Bose write up, there is space on the right for a small sub (occupied by the bose sub IIRC) so you could use that space?

Otherwise (this is something I've been considering) - remove the sub and replace the front 5.25 speakers with 6.5 inch ones. It is a very tight and shallow fit on 6th gens though so it would require a fair bit of handywork but its something I might give a shot if I can get a good pair of 6.5s one day.

10. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the mention @Chunkylover53, I did indeed install a Bose subwoofer into my car and all of the Bose speakers into the doors and IMHO they do sound pretty good over the stock Phillips 15w units. However, you can fit 16.5 or 17cm speakers into the stock baffles, as they do fit the adapter rings. I used to have some JBL GTO speakers in my old Astra, however I kept the box and with it came some adapter rings, with the nub cut off the original baffle you can fit the ring using the stock screws and then screw the new speaker to the ring as normal with four screws. Now JBL is made by Harmon Kardon IIRC and so is Infinity, so you should get the same mounts in the kits